• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone put a 302 in there xj?

offroaddestruction

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 limited. i would like to put a 302 in it. the 302 is complete with trany and transfer case. i was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so how hard is it to do.

Thank you,
offroaddestruction

offroaddestruction said:
I have a 1988 limited. i would like to put a 302 in it. the 302 is complete with trany and transfer case. i was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so how hard is it to do.

Thank you,
offroaddestruction
Theres a thread over at Pirate about this same thing right now. I think the guy is giving up on it and strokin his 4.0.

Yeah, check the thread over on pirate. Jeff is trying to find the info. Can it be done? yes. You just have to figure if its worth it for you to do it. I will be doing this hopefully in the summer. I have a friend how owns a performance shop, and we do alot of mustang stuff. I have a beater 5.0 myself w/ just shy of 450hp. I thought about putting that into the xj, but I know it would just rip parts up all the time. It would be fun for awhile! Either way I will be doing this in a few months. I'm going to try and get the motor as far back as possible, and try to keep it low as possible to keep the center of gravity low.

csudman said:
Theres a thread over at Pirate about this same thing right now. I think the guy is giving up on it and strokin his 4.0.

Yup, that would be me. Decided to go stroker for now as I won't have the down time to do the 302. My XJ is my daily driver. The V8 idea is gonna have to wait for a little longer.

I have not answered here yet but......

This is what I have found. I am going the 302HO, AOD, BW Tcase. These are swapped into Ranger trucks all the time. And believe me the XJ has more room in the engine bay! I have the 302 and AOD, but not the tcase yet. There is a book that Ford put out. It was all about putting a 88-94 or 95 Mustang 302 in a hot rod. With detailed wiring info. Do not remember the name of it though. Check The Ranger Station or Ford Ranger.com someone there could give you the name of the book. Z and M specializes in the 302 jeep swap. They were doing one about a year or two ago but I never saw or heard weather or not they finished it. The info I got was the passanger explorer exhaust header was used but a custome drivers side was built, and a custom radiator. Not sure why they went that rought though. There is a guy in NC that put a 302 in his XJ but I have lost his link. He had pictures and all. Good luck and let us know if you do it and how it comes out. Oh yea if you can find someone who swaps the 5.0 HO into older stangs that would be a great bonus. Last month I ran into a guy that does just that. He swapps out V-6's and 4 poppers for people. He came by and looked at the xj and said it would be easy. He also said that were vavle body mods and other things he could do for me. If I get a carcase and start my swap I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. Damn I sure did ramble.... sorry.

I am also working on my swap right now. i am doing a 83 EFI 5.0L in to my 92 XJ. for tranny i am using a ford 300 bell housing and f250 NP435. i also migh tgo the route of a T19. just depends on cost. then i will hooking that all up to my stock 231 with its lovly 23 spline. i will probley be making my own motor mounts along with a new skid plate to cover both the tranny and tcase. would like to make a full under body skid. would double as a splash shield. after i do that i will be needing longer driveshafts anyways so i will probley make my long arms a little longer and get 1-2 in front and 2-3 in back. i will talk more ont he xj as it gets going. i really hope i can get a driveshaft to work the back cause that would eb a true sleeper for a little honda. hahahha

Honda driver~~~~> :wow: :huh:

So what would be a good automatic 4x4 donor vehicle? 88 bronco with 302 or 351? I think a donor vehicle will be easier and cheaper then piecing it out. Whats the story with Ford t-cases, I don't suppose a np 231 will bolt up :)

I would think the C6 would be a little wide to fit in the tranny tunnel. Plus small block C6's were not that popular. Why wouldn't you use a C4? thats what came behind most small block fords.

I for one wouldn't trust a c4, I know they can be built very well, but in stock form I destroyed two sets of planetaries and wasted a set of clutches in my old 69 mustang. That was with an open diff, 3.0 gears and 350 hp.

I'm going to use ......

the AOD. It was found behind the 302 and 351 (I think) in the Bronco. As for Tcases, my plan is for one of the electric Borg Warner ones. They are reliable, I owned a Ranger, and the wiring is easyer to route than fabing up shifters. Also, if the motor dies a screwdriver will engage and disengage the tcase.

GaryE, you may the first person I have heard from that had bad luck w/ a c4. I work at a friends performance shop and we have slapped numerous c4s into 4-500hp cars w/ nothing more than a shift kit and a good tranny cooler. I have a nice C4 for sale: full roller set up, reverse manual valve body, billet input shaft, scatter shield, converter should flash about 4800rpm perfect for rock crawling (joke).

I'm doing the 5.0 into a Jeep Wrangler, and I'm going with the C-6 and the t-case out of a mid-80's Bronco (fixed yokes-both ends.) I chose the C-6 because it eliminates trying to attach clutch linkage. I know the hydraulic clutches are fixed to the bellhousings, but then you have hydraulic hoses running near exhaust. I'm also making the engine into a HO roller engine with 94-95 Mustang intake. I've been gathering parts for the better part of six months,and have had to make some changes to my plans. Just from all the reading I've been doing on this subject (PBB) and other places, if you're going to do this swap into a XJ, I'd look at the frame stiffener kits that are available. If mine works out, we may attempt to do the same installation in my daughter's 89 XJ.\, so keep posting. You might also look at a set of Mustang shortie headers for clearance. :wstupid:

Why would you want to put an early 80's 302 in there anyway? If you wanted to build the engine up I could see it, but i'd take a 4.7 stroker or LT1 anyday. Hell, i'd take a 4.0 over it too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think they put out about 175hp/ ~250tq stock. Doesnt seem worth the effort.

Another thing to look at, the GM distributor is on the back of the engine, which could give you some clearance problems, where the Ford 5.0 it's on the front. Convenient to work on. :idea:

Last edited:
if you can i would find trans. and d20 transfer from a 77 or earlier bronco because the front drive shaft is on the drivers side just like the xj

the 302 is definatly the way to go since it is smaller then the chevy small block both width and height

Last edited:
All the 80's Broncos used a driver's side drop on the NP-208 t-cases. I'm using one from a 86 Bronco in my YJ, along with the 302 and C-6. It also gives me the slip yoke eliminator.

ok how many people are acctually working on this right now?
i will be starting on mine inaa week and a haft. have to get my motor.
now as i stated befor i was going with a 302. the 302 i was planning on buy was froma 86 stang. bummed me out that it was nto the best to use and not very happy with upgrades. well as fate would have it a friend of mine emailed me the other day stating he had a complete 351 from a 91 bronco. same price as my 86 302. Deal.

as for transmissions i was nto sure where i wanted a T19 or a np435. i kept goign back and forward one each. the np435 has a lower gear of 6.68 vs the T19 of 6.32
other things that differ are Np435 135 lbs T19 145lbs, Np435 length 10.7" and T19 11.87.
when getting a transmission for your project keep looking around. do nto be early perswaded that all NP435s are inthe 300 dollor range.

also instead of having a adapter for your 231 built check out the 208s. front and rear fixed yoke and just if nto more beefy then then 231. and heck sell your tcase for 200 bucks and get a 208 for 100.

i will be working ona huge write up once i start dropping the motor in. lots of pics also.

Back