• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever considered....

Just imagine the numbers you'd post if you cruised at ~110 km/h. I know that's hard to do in Toronotoland without being a moving pylon on the four lanes.

Aero drag really starts climbing above ~100km/h and fuel economy goes into the toilet quickly, at least on my built machine it does.

Usually on the way back from Toronto or heading to London the highway is empty. It would be hard to check mileage at a cruising speed
of 100mph for obvious reasons but it would be interesting to know. Aero is not too bad for me since the lowering, the front air dam, the
deleted rain gutters and trim. Further lowering and some custom farings should help more when I do that at the end of the month.

Last edited:
It would be hard to check mileage at a cruising speed of 100mph for obvious reasons but it would be interesting to know.
He said 100KPH,.. 62mph.

Actually the aero on the XJ is pretty significant. I've measured, and the difference on my '00 between 65MPH and 75MPH is almost exactly 2MPG. It may be greater then that. The trip I checked that on was Phoenix to LA at 75(cruise set to GPS speed), LA to Phoenix at 65(cruise set to GPS speed). The trip back is uphill, and I still got the 2MPG savings by slowing down.

Since you were talking about forced induction on a 2.5 some time ago - have a look at http://www.ks-tuning.de/www/RedTJ/index.html

TJ25kompre.jpg

This german company was selling a supercharger for the 2.5 and their own "Red Baron" (pictured in the link) won a lot of the major offroad competitions in Europe. Beside optimizing the 2.5 to the max (somewhere around 200hp IIRC) he did lots of weight reduction - aluminium bumpers, lighter seats, a carbon fibre hood built buy a guy from Calloway, hundreds of holes in all possible parts of the vehicle etc. etc.

OK, just found the chart - the supercharger they are selling is making 180 horses, his own "to the max" version did 215

leistungsvergleich.JPG

Some more pictures and their mentioning of a SC 4.9 stroker can be found here: http://www.ks-tuning.de/www/tj/tj.htm

Don´t know if they still make that supercharger but if anybody is seriously interested I can check that.

Last edited:
You can use what ever octane rating you like, but in a stock 4.0L there is no reason to waste money on higher than 87.

I didn't read the rest of this thread, but my mostly stock (as far as the motor goes) 2000 XJ (has a "CAI" and muffler) doesn't like regular fuel, it pings a bit and runs a little rough. It runs WAY better on mid-grade and sings with premium. It seems to get better gas mileage with better fuel too.. :dunno:

Last edited:
Back