• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight vs Costco Portable 12v Air Compressor - In Depth Review w/ Pictures

RedHeep said:
Boy, do I feel better. I've been sleepless all these nights since July just wondering if those compressors were genuine.

Good thing some internet troll registered and drug up this thread to put it all straight.

:twak:

Probably lost a WHOLE bunch of sales on the $400 units to us cheap bastards buying 30 buck compressors and cheapo air tanks......:roflmao:

Re: Harbor Freight vs Costco Portable 12v Air Compressor - In Depth Review w/ Pictures

Anyone have the HF unit, and use a pressure relay with it???

I want to mount the HF, and run a pressure relay to keep a small(2-2.5 gal) tank pressurized.

Re: Harbor Freight vs Costco Portable 12v Air Compressor - In Depth Review w/ Pictures

dido
i want a onboard air unit...but dont want to cough up several or even a hundred bucks
so what if its 5 minutes to fill up a tire
lol

I used HF compressore one time broke it took it back got the costco one
much nicer runs cooler and quieter hose and chuck look better
Big Sal :doh:

SPORTY XJ said:
I used HF compressore one time broke it took it back got the costco one
much nicer runs cooler and quieter hose and chuck look better
Big Sal :doh:

The hose and chuck are meaningless to me. I'm planning to mount the compressor and run a mounted hose to a tank. I was thinking of mounting the compressor under the back seat where the stock jack sits.

Problem #1 though.... No Costco here.. Yes, there are actually places in the world with no Costco.....

Perhaps someone that does live near a Costco will be nice enough to offer to buy an extra one for you when they buy one for themselves.

w_howey said:
The hose and chuck are meaningless to me. I'm planning to mount the compressor and run a mounted hose to a tank. I was thinking of mounting the compressor under the back seat where the stock jack sits.

Problem #1 though.... No Costco here.. Yes, there are actually places in the world with no Costco.....

Order a Smitty bilt from 4WheelParts for $69.99 and it'll be mailed to your door. IIRC the price at Costco went up anyways.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT237776.aspx

w_howey said:

I've been saving this link for a while - it's nearly what you want to do:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/portable_oba/

Rob

I was at costco the other day and they are still around $50-$60. They had a lot on the shelves, so if anybody wants one, let me know.

Per the last post, I did a similar thing last spring. I hooked up my Tsunami compressor to a 1.5 gallon tank. I made a quick disconnect for the power using a small winch connector. I didn't want to run the risk of slowly draining the battery leaving it connected all the time. I can take it out if I need to, and made a connect to regular aligator clips in case I want to use it with a different vehicle.

The problem I have with the system: It has to work hard to fill up 4 tires. Basically the compressor runs to fill up the tank and not the tires. I wait for the tank to fill, start to fill tires, run the pressure down, and then have to wait to build presure back up in the tank. I might buy an extra one to just to be able to connect it to the tire valves and walk away while it fills up. The good thing is, if I need a quick blast of 125psi, it's there. We used it to pop a bead back on a 36" IROK.

Also, the compressor runs a lot stronger if the engine is on.

Brainstorm: Is there any reason you couldn't hook up 2 tsunami's to a single tank?

I just picked up the HF unit a few days ago. Good review, I remember seeing it kicking around awhile back. Costco is notorious for not having items on the shelves, and I hadn't seen the Costco compressor the last several times I was there, so I just broke down and bought the HF one. If it ends up sucking hint tit, I can just take it back. I paid $5 extra for the one year warranty.

Rob Mayercik said:
I've been saving this link for a while - it's nearly what you want to do:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/portable_oba/

Rob
Thanks....

I may have seen that link before, it might just be where I stole the idea from....

I may have to actually enter Ricer Boys. Those Honda drivers will be looking VERY suspicous at me when I pull my junk into the parking lot.

im jumping into the HF one and mounting it....
soon before snow hits

The HF link on the first page now shows the same compressor on sale for $49.99

Just FYI.

Awesome review, btw.

Hey Everyone, OP here.

Just wanted to update and say that the Costco unit is still running great. My use is light to average, but I would say for the typical weekend trail runner, this is a perfect solution for airing up.

When doorless, I also find the compressor to be a great tool to blow some of the dust out of the cab!

I have the Costco compressor and like it a lot. It turns out that my wifes wants to use it around the house.

What kind of gizmo do I need to buy to run it off household AC current?

Give me a link and an on-line order place.

Thanks

jdbwrx said:
I got the Costco unit a few weeks ago (actually got it at Pep Boys) and just finished wiring it up last night. I had a 2 gallon tank from an AC compressor, so I mounted the Tsunami up it. It filled the tank up to 125 psi with out too much trouble. I'll try and get pics later.

Since your compressor has exposed alligator clips, It's probably not a good idea to try to use it inside. If it had an accessory (cig lighter) plug on th end, it would have been doable with an adaptor.

Your best bet for portable compressed air would be one of the following alternatives. Click on images for link:

$119

$84

Back