• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight vs Costco Portable 12v Air Compressor - In Depth Review w/ Pictures

Re: Harbor Freight vs Costco Portable 12v Air Compressor - In Depth Review w/ Pictures

I got the HF Comp. about a year ago and I like it well enough. You do need to be carefull of the heat issue. I tossed the case it came with and just store ti in a milk crate with my tow straps.

Re: Harbor Freight vs Costco Portable 12v Air Compressor - In Depth Review w/ Pictures

2001XJ said:

its physically a smaller compressor.
so is the spec ops on or whatever theya re calling it.
the spc ops one is pretty much the same one as that yellow one. the red tsunami is larger and more powerful.(hence more money.. :D)

now to mount it wonder if i can mount it under the back seat???

Last edited:
I bought the Costco Q-MAXX compressor as a backup to the CO2 tank.
I removed the odd-size quick disconnect fitting and tapped the hole out to 1/4" pipe so it would accept a standard quick disconnect fitting. Now the CO2 air hose can be used on the compressor.
It's a nice compressor for $50.

I bought the Costco Q-MAXX compressor as a backup to the CO2 tank.
I removed the odd-size quick disconnect fitting and tapped the hole out to 1/4" pipe so it would accept a standard quick disconnect fitting. Now the CO2 air hose can be used on the compressor.
It's a nice compressor for $50.

OCG007.jpg

I just bought the MV-50 based on this and other writeups and tried it out last night. 235/75/15 from 10# to over 35# in a minute or less! Didn't really have enough time to time it, pressure went up much faster than I would have expected for such a little compressor. The gauge sucks and is way, way off but I can use it as a guideline for start/stop and how much was inbetween. I was planning to add a tank but as fast as this thing is with my little tires, I see no need for it.

I surf fish NC beaches and 22# has been my pressure in the soft, deep stuff. Having this little jewel on board I can try going down lower with no worries about hitting the hard road with really soft tires. Thanks for turning me onto a great little compressor!

sidewys xj said:
I have used the cosco one for about two years mine came from cheker auto its the same thing. I hard mounted mine use a 2/1/2 gallon air tank with a 100 psi pressure switch that really helps out with the first tire. for what I paid for it its great I could buy at least 4 of them before I could buy a vair or extreme air so its worth it to me I even bought a spare if mine quit but it has not happend yet. great little compressors.
Where did you mount yours??? I'm looking at that right now...I don't think there is enough room in front of the brake master.
Thanks!

2001XJ said:

I jjust bouth the maxxQ and its way better than the #MF-1040, the #MF-1040 is way cheaper but it takes longer to fill and its just not as good at the maxxQ.
The little sir fitting on the maxxQ is HOT as heck when you disco the hose but it's one heck of a nice compressor. I bought it because of the write on here and i love it!
plus... costo has that lifetime warranty.

I was just at pepbys looking for an air compressor and they didn't have the tsunami. They had one made by Master Flow called the special ops. It comes with a battery pack and light. Does any one know if this is any good? Its rated at 150 max psi, max displacement 1500 cubic inches/min., I'm assuming its similar but don't know.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...12884/p-2012884/N-111+10208+600017698/c-10108

Mutant_Xj said:
I was just at pepbys looking for an air compressor and they didn't have the tsunami. They had one made by Master Flow called the special ops. It comes with a battery pack and light. Does any one know if this is any good? Its rated at 150 max psi, max displacement 1500 cubic inches/min., I'm assuming its similar but don't know.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2012884/p-2012884/N-111+10208+600017698/c-10108

it looks like a good compressor but for the price, you can get 2 of the qmaxx's/tsunami's.
Save your $$$ and get the qmaxx's/tsunami's.

alwaysready said:
its physically a smaller compressor.
so is the special ops one or whatever theya re calling it.
the spc ops one is pretty much the same one as that yellow one. the red tsunami is larger and more powerful.(hence more money.. :D)

MF1040_med.gif
$28.00 pep boys ( the smaller cheaper one)
Model mv-40 aka mf-1040 at pepboys

G_23072G_SW_1.jpg
SPECIAL OPS M45 CORDLESS AIR COMPRESSOR /SEARCHLIGHT $99.00 at jcwhitney(think it was 89 at pep boys cant remeber).
same compressor as yellow one above except added options of flashlight and rechargeable battery that seems to work on either the flashlight or the compressor(better, only in options)
MF1050_med.gif
$59.00 pep boys, had 10.00 rebate. ( the BEST one)
model MV-50 aka MF-1050 at pep boys
i got one for me one for my dad and now i think the rebate is over..

Last edited:

I missed that in the post earlyer. I did a bunch of research and figured it out later that night. I went back to pepboys and asked the lady working there about the tsunami and she was clueless. Oh the battery for the special ops only lasts 8-18 minutes and the extras kinda look cheap. but yeah I want the tsunami but cant find one. No costcos around and I dont know anyone with a membership.

I have the Tsunami from Pepboys. Works great. Hard wired through a realy and a switch in my switch panel.
Picture066.jpg

Thanks for the write up, I keep eyeing the HF unit everytime I'm in there but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one.

Anyone using either of these to run ARB's?

I Love my Costco one, the qmaxx/tsunami. It has worked flawlessly since I bought it and I air up everything.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Back from the dead with a link for the MF1050 on eBay.

Decent price, I'll probably pick one up for the DD.

http://stores.ebay.com/Auto-Parts-Sally_W0QQfsubZ0QQtZkm
That's the one I've got Anyone hard mount that under the hood? If so WHERE?? I can't find a place to fit it.........:viking:

Back