• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight Baby!!!!

i used 4 dremels. They didn't hold up the amount of cutting. But I would suggest that you use some type of paint remover wheel first. In the rear anyways, that way when you hammer the ends in the paint doesn't chip above it, like one of my sides did.

Make sure to mask off ALL the rest of your Jeep... when I did mine, I only masked the upper parts of the fenders, but sparks bounced off my garage walls and sprayed the doors of my Jeep without me noticing. I don't mind because my paint is in terrible shape as it is and I plan to paint it this spring, but some of the sparks got stuck in the clearcoat on my doors. I washed it right away and got most of them off, but there's some still stuck in there that are rusting away as we speak. So grab a couple old sheets and mask off everywhere if your using an angle grinder.

just use the damn HF Angle Grinder lol. I have a 4.5" one from there that I bought to cut my fenders. Worked fine........ You will need a few cutting wheels though. I think a pack there is like $9.

For reference, this is the orange one.

dspilot said:
I don't think I am gonna trim the rear that much. I will probably just go up to the pinch seams.

thats all I did following the rocklizard's website intructions and when I hammerd the peices in the paint chipped further than I wanted.

XJNATION is right Plasma is the cats meow as far as I'm concerned. No sparks and no fires just clean cuts. Practice a little first then just cut what you want off. NO MASKING OR TAPE INVOLVED.

gregmondro said:
just use the damn HF Angle Grinder lol. I have a 4.5" one from there that I bought to cut my fenders. Worked fine........ You will need a few cutting wheels though. I think a pack there is like $9.

For reference, this is the orange one.
There are atleast four different orange ones that are 4.5", they all have different ammperage ratings. I just bought a 4.5 amp (#91223) and a 4.8 amp (#43471) for $19 each. Search for grinder than sort by 4.5" and you'll see 6 grinders including a DeWalt for $99.

You can get the packs of discs for $6 when they are on sale. They also have variety packs that have grinding discs, cut-off discs, and sanding discs.

be careful with those cheap discs. I bought some from Cummings Tools, which is like harbor freight if you haven’t been there, and they actually broke while using them and became projectiles. Scary!!!!!

I've gone through atleast 15 of the HF discs and none have broken or so much as cracked a little. But all the discs have warnings on them for that reason.

I cut mine with a HF grinder.
I beat on it hard enough to heat it up, then the brushes were toasty.
The brushes are a bit of a PITA to change, but on the second set of brushes it worked fine.
my HF grinder has built my bumper, modified my rock rails and cut all of my fenders.
not bad for $10.

I second the nomination for the nor tools 4 inch grinder;

The one that comes in a formed plastic package with a grinding wheel, cutoff wheel, wire brush disc, and a spare set of brushes for 12.99 on sale! I've beat on it for a couple years now and dont remember where that second set of brushes is; its a good thing i havent needed them.

the el cheapo northern china made 5 pack discs will wear out a little bit faster than the norton discs you buy from home depot/ lowes but they also cost like 60% less per disc. To me it's a fair trade off to save a few bucks...

also this has not been mentioned but the most important grinder accessory is one of these:

174653_lg.gif

Last edited:
WTF said:
also this has not been mentioned but the most important grinder accessory is one of these:

174653_lg.gif
second grinder accessory (you want to keep all of your fingers):
10-2000_mini.jpg

third & fourth (prevent you from catching fire & getting dust in your lungs/mouth):
442130.jpg
2800N95.jpg

my $9 grinder barely made it through the front fenders.. It got to the point that it would spool up, then disengage once the disc hit the metal... But this was after I used it to cut the eyes off some leafs......

IntrepidXJ said:
yeah, if you got steady enough hands :p

not at all just make a template out of cardboard for your cut and everyone is perfect, both sides match exactly! you can tape it to the fender or use removable hot melt glue

I dont have steady hands.

Back