• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight... Yes? No?

DeWalt is my prefered brand for electrics, although my Black&Decker 18V Drill and SawZall have been working great for me.

Hand tools, well there just isn't anything like Snap-On. You definately get what you pay for there, although I'm also very fond of the Craftsman tools too. I like the Craftsman ratchets more than the Snap-on ones, they just fit my hand better.

As for tool boxes, definately Snap-On or Matco. I have a Matco at work and absolutely love it, at home I have a Snap-On and it works perfectly for now. I would like to upgrade to a bit bigger one though, or maybe just add a side box. I also have a Craftsman Proffessional top box w/ the grip-latch and roller bearings. Its their top of the line style of box that I bought used from a friend in 2003. Its been a great box, and I would definately not deny Craftsman boxes their durabilty and great bang/buck value. It just doesn't have the same feel to it as my Snap-On or Matco. Still, for the average shade tree a Craftsman box is a good bargain and will put up with years of use/abuse. Just make sure you spend the extra money and get the higher quality "Professional" series of boxes with roller bearings and grip-latch. If you are going to spend the money on a Snap-On box, buy it used. You'll spend half the money on a used box that you would on a brand new one and have the same great quality box you want. I bought mine used and its in perfect shape. I weight 215lbs and I can take any of the drawers, open it all the way out and stand on it evn with it already full of tool. Not only does the drawer not complain, but my wife can still slide the drawer in/out with no problems. You definately get what you pay for, just buy used so you don't have to pay as much.

I'm with Yella, I give HF tools a chance and roll the dice. I have a HF benchtop drillpress that I abused the snot out of (2 3/4 hole saws through 1/4" wall 1.5 DOM), and while it is on its last legs, at $35 that was a deal... I needed to ram set some things in concrete a couple years ago, and the hammer drill at HF was 1/2 the rental price at Home Depot -- It died shortly after the job, but I came out ahead :gee: I do stay away from their cut off wheels, because when they fail, they tend to shower the room in shrapnel... no thanks. :wow:

Get what you want; quality is a crap shoot, but they are really good about replacing stuff that broke under their warranty(at least here in Illinois). Just depends if you can afford to be without whatever broke until you get back to the store. I've been through about 3 of their torque wrenches, all replaced under warranty.

I got a bunch of those blue grinders that go on sale for like 8 9 bucks. It's nice to have one with a cutting disk one with a wire wheel one with a flapper disk and a grinding stone. I don't waist alot of time swapping them all out while working on something. That and I bought 1 warranty for 12 bucks or something for 3 years so if any of them go bad free new one no questoins asked. walk in swap it out the door. They know they don't have a killer product so they dont care. out of the 4 cheep blue ones I have the first one started to crap out a few months ago swapped the brushes ran good for a few more days and crapped out took it in walked out with one.

Look at it like this if your using it for work a way to earn a living get quality. If your going to use it maybe a few times in a year then I don't see the big deal with the HF tools. Weekend building stuff you can spend more money in the tools to build bumpers and rockrails and skids than the cost of the stuff your building. If thats the case just buy the bumpers skids and all that and save the money on the tools.

I'm guessing they buy out super old brand name molds/dies and use them. My 10" compound miter saw was $99. It's solid, but looks like something out of the 1960s. So, back in the 1960s, it bet tools made from these molds/dies were great. This one is tough to get accurate. When you tighten down the swivel table, the table actually tilts under the hand screw causing the whole setting to go off. I have to use a speed square to get mine on. I just hope I don't accidentally hit the go button with the square up against the blade. Other than that, it's worked consistently for a whole basement finishing job, and trimming out an office with solid oak molding and chair rail.

My router is a Freud. I have a HF 1/2" drill, but it's a key chuck, heavy so I use my Skill drill instead.

I've a a HF 41/2 grinder for years and it came with an extra set of brushes, which I haven't had to replace yet.

I like to use their cheap wrenches. You can cut and bend them for special applications. I have a drawer full of them at work.

If you do that with a Craftsman you can take it to sears and get a new one. Not that i would know or anything.

If you do that with a Craftsman you can take it to sears and get a new one. Not that i would know or anything.

HF does that with there hand tools now aswell. no questions asked or if they do they just laugh like you did what again???? then they give you a replacement.

Tried that once and they called it abuse and wouldnt give me another. I just buy a set of the cheap HF ones and leave them bent or cut for when I need them again. My everyday use wrenches are MAC and SNAPON.

Back