• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack & Tap vs. SYE

kidcuisine said:
200? where id ya get that from? i think PORC is the the cheapest place i've seen it. what all does it come with tho?

I got the PORC. It was like $178 I think. It came with everything needed. I did have a few small issues, but nothing I didn't expect. Bolt on is never truly bolt on as we all know. They also sold the AA for just over $200 as I recall.

tcm glx said:
...i feel like just doing a HnT with the case in the jeep and calling it a day.....

I just did an install of a kit from Tom Woods on my jeep... I left the t-case on the trans, lowered down the cross member, and took the case apart right in the jeep. You don't have to remove it from the vehicle, just take it apart from the rear side. I was even able to leave the front driveline output yoke on.

I had no tag on the case, assumed 231, was a 242 (dang jeep nubies:laugh3:) so the shaft that came with the kit was not right. Had the jeep on a vehicle lift at a buddies shop and had to get it off the lift that day... (saturday). So I took my stock shaft, took the measurement off the TW shaft and cut mine off at work, chucked it up in the lathe and faced it off, center drilled and tapped the end of the shaft, same as was done to the 231 shaft I got with the kit (not an HD shaft upgrade).

I have had great support form TW... They called me back on monday to see what the issue was, I explained the problem and they was very willing to do whatever was needed. I just sent the shaft back they sent me.

No vibrations, and no problems as of yet... The next day I took it out to the challenge park at the Fair Grounds and wheeled it until I broke a front axle shaft :explosion... Cant say it is the strongest thing out there, but I would say for 'most' xj's it would be fine.

A stock 231/242 is only as strong as it is going to be... if you want something stronger or wheel harder then you would be stupid to stick with the stock t-case. Upgrade to a t-case that will handle the extra abuse.

Its like upgrading a D30 front axle... its only going to be so strong. no matter how much money you put in it... It's not designed to handle hard wheeling with a 40" tire...

Back