• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack & Tap vs. SYE

I understand that it is a new shaft and yoke. My ? is, isn't it just a H&T with a 3103-27CV bolted to it, but some other company has done it for you? Second is, the whole shaft kit some sell, i.e. Tom Woods, for the 242 require a core shaft. He just H&Ts them then, right?

skoolie72 said:
I have seen 5+ failures of the H&T output.
Sometimes the hole isn't perfectly centered with a punch...somtimes the metal fatigues due to improper cooling when drilling...sometimes the washer that loads the 'plate' gets loose and allows a 'cavitation'...sometimes the bolt backs out...
That being said, I ran a H&T for 2 years with 31s and a rear locker.
When I went to 4.88s and 33s, I upgraded to an HD SYE within a month.
I never broke the H&T, but I was always nervous.

uncc civilengineer said:
... there's noting wrong w/ a H&T if done correctly.

I'm pretty sure none of those people installed them correctly then. A H&T is by no means weak. I Have beat on my Jeep for a couple years now with one on. Not one single problem. In fact, I've blown up my front axle, and the H&T still is going strong.

Oh, and as for your argument that sometimes the hole isn't perfectly centered , it doesn't hold water. If you want to come look at mine, I'll show you my bolt isn't centered in the shaft, and still nothing. All that bolt does is not allow the flange to back off, the flange is still using the stock splines that a normal unmodified yoke uses.

SgtJCJ said:
I understand that it is a new shaft and yoke. My ? is, isn't it just a H&T with a 3103-27CV bolted to it, but some other company has done it for you? Second is, the whole shaft kit some sell, i.e. Tom Woods, for the 242 require a core shaft. He just H&Ts them then, right?
There is no comparing the two!
hd%20sye.jpg

Ive ran my H&T for about 2 years now and ive had absolutely no problem. Its a DD and trail rig and im not very nice to it. I just finished installing one on my little bros ZJ as well. Again, a H&T is more then adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJCJ

RCP Phx said:
There is no comparing the two!
hd%20sye.jpg

For a 231 Yes the HD shaft is much beefier, Necessary? Probably not as you do not here of many Transfer case output shafts failing.

Now the 242 is a different story, SgtJCJ is 100% correct, Tom Woods does just H&Ts the standard shaft, Your old shaft is then sent to him so he can H&T it & sell it to your the next customer.
If I ever have to do it again I would go with a H&T & Use the Yoke (part #3103-27CV) instead of the flange,Less $ than having to buy the Flange Kit (RE H&T Kit) + The spicer flange adapter (If you are using a front DS) & It is nice having the ability to swap in the Front Driveshaft in 10 Minutes if necessary.

Last edited:
garr said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJCJ

For a 231 Yes the HD shaft is much beefier, Necessary? Probably not as you do not here of many Transfer case output shafts failing.

Now the 242 is a different story, SgtJCJ is 100% correct, Tom Woods does just H&Ts the standard shaft, Your old shaft is then sent to him so he can H&T it & sell it to your the next customer.
If I ever have to do it again I would go with a H&T & Use the Yoke instead of the flange, It is nice having the ability to swap in the Front Driveshaft in 10 Minutes if necessary.

What yoke do you speak of?

garr said:
6 states driveshafts part #3103-27CV

OK can you please explain it a little more.. or have any pictures? Basically this part number takes the place of the 4bolt splined flange from the RE H&T and allows you to just run plain ole DS's no flange crap?

Also any idea of cost?

Currie for many many years just cut and tapped your stock "core" shafts with thier SYE kits. May still do, but I would think they went new all hardened pieces by now.

I had atj with 35's on it, detroit, D44's, and 4.88's. Wheels the Crap out of it and never once had a problem with the 4yrs+ I had on that H&T I first did prior to even the 31" upgrade with a 3" lift.

Now with my XJ, its gone from 8.8" rear with ected locker and 4.88 gears (about 2 yrs) to now the current setup of 14bolt detroit and 5.38 gears, drove liek I dont care when I do take it out, and still not one issue.

I believe the H&T is more then ok for most anything that even my two buddies in TJ's (one on 35 creepy's and 4.88's locked) have them. The one has gernaded a D44 pinion and on another occation a Electrac locker on sledgehammer, but never had a issue with the H&T.

I think the ones that fail, theres more to it then the design or product.

uncc civilengineer said:
OK can you please explain it a little more.. or have any pictures? Basically this part number takes the place of the 4bolt splined flange from the RE H&T and allows you to just run plain ole DS's no flange crap?

Also any idea of cost?

Here is a very good write up, Cost depends on where you get the part from. Anywhere from $50 to $100 for the yoke.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

For people like me who can't cut a straight line to save their lives, but don't need brute strength, Tom Woods has a pretty slick setup. It's a modified factory shaft that has splines cut into a new place in the shaft. And it's a killer deal! You measure your old shaft, call them up, and the send you the new (modified) output shaft, output housing, yoke, and cv driveshaft all for 400 (with a 100 dollar core charge, they want your old stuff back to keep making them) Seems like a bitchin' idea to me.

By the time you figure the adapter, the HD SYE is about $40 more than the H&T. It was a no-brainer for me. I like having the DS hot swappable too. I can bring that front right to the rear if I break or damage the rear.

Hmmmm, you guys are all making me think here....I rebuilt my transfer caser aroudn 3-4k miles ago,.....and because of a lack of money, did not do the SYE. I now have a TnT long arm kit, and actually have a SYE, but i am really not fealing having to take out the tcase and swap in the SYE...i feel like just doing a HnT with the case in the jeep and calling it a day.....

tcm glx said:
Hmmmm, you guys are all making me think here....I rebuilt my transfer caser aroudn 3-4k miles ago,.....and because of a lack of money, did not do the SYE. I now have a TnT long arm kit, and actually have a SYE, but i am really not fealing having to take out the tcase and swap in the SYE...i feel like just doing a HnT with the case in the jeep and calling it a day.....

Go for it, H&Ts work fine.

tcm glx said:
You dont even have to remove the case,about a 4 hour job if you have the right tools,H-N-T's are a joke IF your trying to gain ALL the benefits of a TRUE SYE kit!!

tcm glx said:

Didn't have to remove the T-case. Got the HD SYE for just under 200. With 100 for the H&T + 40 for the adapter it didn't seem worth it to go cheap. Plus as I said I like being able to switch the front to the rear in a pinch. MHO

djblade311 said:
Now I know that FarmerMatt runs a H&T on his CAT XJ buggy and he abuses the crap out of it.

The CAT has always had a 4.3 Atlas. The JD has a Hack & Tap. The Hack & Tap has searved me well in that rig & has survived in there since 2000...

Matt

Back