• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gun Registration

lol, paperwork

I sold all my guns to a black dude in Arizona named Capone.

Me too....I no longer own any guns....sold em all. Just for clarification, I no longer own any weapons.

About the only way for you to find out the "status" of any given firearm would be to ask your local police.The problem, as mentioned, is that any problems crop up, and you wave buy-buy to that gun. The other pitfall/pratfall is of course, any gun you take to the police, they now have a record of.

Also, doesn't CA have some kind of hokey assault weapon ban? As I heard, the interpretation of the law is so convoluted that you can get documentation from the state that a weapon is legal and still be arrested and charged for possessing it. If you ended up with anything "interesting", you might just want to sit on it, or maybe move it quietly out of state.

About the only way for you to find out the "status" of any given firearm would be to ask your local police.The problem, as mentioned, is that any problems crop up, and you wave buy-buy to that gun. The other pitfall/pratfall is of course, any gun you take to the police, they now have a record of.

Also, doesn't CA have some kind of hokey assault weapon ban? As I heard, the interpretation of the law is so convoluted that you can get documentation from the state that a weapon is legal and still be arrested and charged for possessing it. If you ended up with anything "interesting", you might just want to sit on it, or maybe move it quietly out of state.

CA sure does have some screwy gun laws but I have a few family members that are cops and can probably check it out for me. That's probably what I will do.

Dude...just take the guns or the serial numbers and matching make/model of each to the local gun shop and have them run th enumbers for you. They may charge you to do so, but they can check for you. Also, if you have the paperwork that states that you inherited them (ie, statement of will, court documents, etc), you can just go re-register said guns. Usually this runs about $25 a gun. I know that Dual Smoking Guns in Beaverton will do this for you. Give them a call and they can answer the question for you about where to go to validate the legitimacy of the previous registration of the weapons in question. At that point if they are legal, re-register them in your name. If they are not turn them over to the authorities with the paperwork that states you recieved them in an inheritance (therby clearing you of any wrongdoing) and call it a day.

Good luck.

Matt

Back