• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

Currently planning a 231 swap instead, I don't think I need/would use AWD very often, and I should pick up a bit better mileage as a DD with a 2wd option -- plus SYE's are that much easier.

Picked up a pair of near new driveshafts yesterday, great shape and stout as hell (custom from Rocky Mountain Driveline in Denver), which my cocktail-napkin-math says will be damn near the right length, with 1310 yokes on both ends (+CV/double cardan).

Threw a misfire code on cylinder two a couple times last week, so I seafoamed it through the vac line, and dumped the remainder in the fuel for injector cleaning -- no more codes and running far better. Also had the tranny flushed, which smoothed up shifting considerably (the shit that came out was black and so smelly you could smell it in the lobby!).

Changed the fluid in the 247 to try and quiet the squirrels down -- the NP247 can only use Mopar T-Case Fluid, no ATF, and sure enough when I drained it I got fairly burnt up ATF, and not enough to call it "full". New fluid has made it quieter, but still chattering under load and through turns with throttle...

Also got the rear wiper working, got a cartridge for the 10-disc changer, got a key fob programed (also wasted money on key copies at the Depot, since apparently I have a "chipped key", won't stay running with the copies :doh:), and added the bazillion missing screws to the rear hatch area which eliminated the rattle I had going on!

chatted with Led for a bit yesterday about potentially swapping in a D300 -- given my history with 231's, a gear driven case sounded good. It isn't currently in the budget however, plus I scored a 231 with an HD AA SYE today for a couple bills, so the tcase issue is resolved, for now at least...

I also did some disturbing reading today on JK front axle tube failures, and am exploring both truss options and internal sleeves/knuckle gussets...

too bad your spline count is different, id trsde my 242(with sye) for your 231 :D

I could have picked up a 242 from Stang pretty cheap, but behind a V8 I want a HD output shaft (32 spline), and the limited number of 242's with a HD shaft (2001-03 Grand Cherokees only) make them priced like platinum, and still tough to SYE. This ought to fit the bill, since rarely do I wish for AWD anyways...

I could have picked up a 242 from Stang pretty cheap, but behind a V8 I want a HD output shaft (32 spline), and the limited number of 242's with a HD shaft (2001-03 Grand Cherokees only) make them priced like platinum, and still tough to SYE. This ought to fit the bill, since rarely do I wish for AWD anyways...

i've got one but it's not for sale but may be talked into trading

actually you don't, Jim. The 242HD is only behind the 4.7L V8 in those years - your 242 is very similar to one out of a late model XJ...

Brown Santa paid me a visit today. I like Brown Santa...

six big boxes from a dude named Clayton :)

I prefer the White santa, had a bad experience with the brown one....

LOL... that was funnier the first time I read it. Then I reread it and figured out what you meant.

Personally, I hate USPS. Stuff never gets delivered on time, their package tracking system doesn't update till wayyyy after it should (I've had it say it's "in transit" passing through another state a day after its been delivered), the USPS guy that works my area is a douche, and the packages are always beat up.

ummm, soon? I promised Sheila I would wrap up the two bathrooms I had torn up in our house before the Jeep pulled into the garage... Both floors are now tiled, one grouted, one toilet re-installed. I should have one bath completely done this weekend, and the other one pretty damn close. My goal is to at least pull the rig into the garage on Sunday, and maybe start tearing the dash apart for the heater repair, then t-case, THEN lift... I'll likely swing by Friday afternoon and pick up my axles if'n you'll be around busy man...

Its always important to keep the wife intoxicated with home improvements whilst finding time to slap shiny
parts on the Jeep , you know its a balancing act ...

Your lucky though its only a couple of house mods , before I can start my V8 project I have to finish my
wife's new 1.5 ct Diamond ring in the next week or so .
It will look similar to this ...
DSC01753.jpg

DSC01752.jpg

Fabricated by yours truly ..

you got skills, DJ -- and that is without a doubt the prettiest hi-jack evar!!!

LOL. We may have to talk "barter" sometime in the future...

currently still boxed up -- if all goes well I'll have the jeep in the garage by Sunday night and will take some photos of all the shiny and not-so-shiny goodies...

Back