• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS Unit

Honestly I think the Garmin and Magellan units are about equal. What really makes or breaks the deal is the mapping software. I think that Garmin’s Map Source has Magellan beat hands down. I’ve been using a Garmin Rhino 120 for a little over a year and it works great. The built in radio and position function are nice features when you are off roading in a group. No need to ask someone where they are at and try to figure it out on the map. Just highlight their symbol and push the call function, it will update their position on your display instantly. The software really ties it all together. It is very easy to upload, download or manipulate the map, routes and way points. The topo data is right on and the Metro Guides are very detailed (street names, restaurant, businesses, etc). There is even a navigation program that works with Map Source. You have to have your GPS hooked up to a laptop to use it. It’s not quite as good as Tom-Tom, but it does tell you to turn North, South, when you are approaching way points, etc. Did I mention that program is free and works with what ever maps you have installed in Map Source? Like I said, I think that the software makes all the difference in the world.

Back