• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear installation clinic....

Alrighty then.
Aussie install clinic it is!
I didn't really want to spend a 30 degree day trying to get patterns right anyway.

Okie Terry said:
The master install kits don't come with axle seals, only the pinion seal and maybe a cover gasket.
Orielly's has them.

Next time search nOOb.

Yukons come with the inner seal, mine did at least, and yes it does require a special tool to install them, you dont want to dick them up, it can cost you an entire diff

Terry, if some one does show up with gears I can tackle one of the axles so we can hit the trail sooner.. Bad thing is thats not good to break in the gears

XTrmXJ said:
Terry, if some one does show up with gears I can tackle one of the axles so we can hit the trail sooner.. Bad thing is thats not good to break in the gears

I can see heat buildup not being good for the gears. But, short distances wheeling shouldn't build a lot of heat. What else besides heat is bad for new gears?

...BOB

BOB said:
I can see heat buildup not being good for the gears. But, short distances wheeling shouldn't build a lot of heat. What else besides heat is bad for new gears?

...BOB
Well, actually, hard torques may be hazardous for non-work hardened gears.

But, mine will have only have driven about 50'.
From the shop, Saturday, to the trailer.
It'll see more distance on it in the campgrounds, than it's had.

thanks Okie.
I won't be there until Friday.
I wish I could sit in on this.

...BOB

BOB said:

...BOB

Brand new gears with a good size load is not good, you put alot of load on your gears offroading and in Low range

Haleyes said:
Okie and Ranger,
I'm not bringing my air comp. like we talked about, if there is no takers.

it would help with taking the ring gear off for the aussie install... and the bearing caps...

and it would be generaly handy in the teardown of my front and rear ends...

Id sure appriciate it if you could bring it and an impact wrench....

XJ_ranger said:
it would help with taking the ring gear off for the aussie install... and the bearing caps...

and it would be generaly handy in the teardown of my front and rear ends...

Id sure appriciate it if you could bring it and an impact wrench....

What are you doing to the rear? I thought all you wanted to do was the Aussie and seals in the D44.

An impact too?? Geez.... Anything else you need? Ya want a two post lift too??

Whine one more time and I'll consider it. :D

you have a portable 2 post lift! sweet!
:rattle:

Im swaping the 3rd member for one with a Posi...

I can't say as I've ever "properly" given a set of gears their break in time. It's usually slap them in and hit the trails at full throttle the next day. IMO it's a non-issue.

Anybody want to swing by my shop and pick up a few 60's. They need regeared and I don't feel like doing it :wave:

Back