• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas or Diesel? Daily driver/tow rig

PurpleCherokee said:
Not to mention Cummins' an excellent motor that will last you forever and the gas mileage is GREAT.

Yes, the gas mileage IS great, they don't use any! :roll:

RedHeep said:
You're talking about leg room in a sequoia, but you're pimping a 4 door tundra to the guy..

Have to say it.. DUDE thier the SAME EXACT THING inside from the back seat (2nd row in Seq) forward! EXACT!

Ok back on topic again.

Diesel is nice but the size of truck you have to get to get a diesel engine and how primitive they are, they dont make for as nice of a daily driver, period. Yes, nicer to tow with though.

ROBERTK said:
Have to say it.. DUDE thier the SAME EXACT THING inside from the back seat (2nd row in Seq) forward! EXACT!

Ok back on topic again.

Diesel is nice but the size of truck you have to get to get a diesel engine and how primitive they are, they dont make for as nice of a daily driver, period. Yes, nicer to tow with though.

Dude... did you seriously just say that diesel engines are primitive???

PurpleCherokee said:
Dude... did you seriously just say that diesel engines are primitive???

Read again... THE trucks that they are in seem to be primitive, ok unless you got 50-60K for a king ranch or something. then you still are in a big, bulky, harsh riding, loud, less responsive, umm primitive feeling, Truck...

ROBERTK said:
Read again... THE trucks that they are in seem to be primitive, ok unless you got 50-60K for a king ranch or something. then you still are in a big, bulky, harsh riding, loud, less responsive, umm primitive feeling, Truck...

Might have been true ten years ago, but I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

Ahhhh........sounds like you haven't been in an F250 or a Silverado HD for a loooooooong time. While they don't ride quite as nice as a 1/2 ton, they are pretty damn comfortable and nice. Interior wise, they are both the same as a 1/2 ton. I've had plenty of people say that a Tundra doesn't ride as nicely as either an F150 or Silverado.......but I don't mind a firmer riding truck.

Robert, regarding the resale value, I buy and sell wholesale, so I go off actual numbers. Things change all the time based on demand in the market for buyers stocking their lots, but right now a Sequoia is twice as far back of book as a Tahoe, and a lot softer than an Expedition. I appreciate the numbers off the car websites, but as usual, those numbers are free and are given to everyone. We use a book number that we have to subscribe to, and they don't give that one out for free on the internet. They are relative, though. Toyota's just used to be a lot stronger in wholesale value relative to book value, but they have really dropped off, which is a combination of the demand and the book being way too high.

I worked for Toyota for 10 years, and have always been a fan. However, it is a real good thing for all of us that the domestic product quality is now about the same as the import quality. That has been a long time coming. As that fact grows in public awareness, then the imports will be hurt somewhat in both the real and percieved stronger resale value against the domestics.

Anyway, just stuff to talk about. Your Sequoia is a real nice vehicle, you should be very happy with it.

You want one vehicle to tow and to daily drive. I would think that would increase the benifit of the gas engine. I have a diesel truck but I only use it to tow. I used to use it to run to home depot and parts places but it seems to me that the diesel burns fuel like crazy till it warms up. On a short trip to the store I bet it won't get 5 mpg. Pulling my jeep I get 11-14 mpg. I do love the diesel but would never want one to daily drive. On the other hand I've been towing stuff for years and would not want to tow with a light vehicle period. With the weight you are talking about I would chose at least a 3/4 ton full size truck maybey 1 ton for the safty cusion of weight and breaks. Sounds to me like you need two vehicles too but it's easy to spend your money. I'll allways have a big truck because they just work best but who can offord to run to the supermarket in one?

We run all gas jobs (chevy 6.0's), I tow an 8.5k lb skid steer and a 11k lb mini excavator with both my 3500hd and 2500hd chevys. I also had a chevy with the 6.6.. With the additional cost of the diesel at initial purchase it is just not worth it imo. Right now in NY diesel is 4.15 a gallon and gas is 3.35 or so. And towing 12k lbs im getting 10-11 mpg, which isnt much worse then a diesel and with the 4:10 gears i dont even hit 3k rpms,, The biggest problem is the amount of milles were running and having a gwv rating over 10k we would have to pay road tax too... Thats just my insight, but most the time when im moving equipment i put it on the tractor trailer, it is just faster and more economical. Plus the 6.0's have been pretty good, i have a few guys working for my that are hard on my crap and it still goes pretty good.. Only complaint with the chevys is the steering shaft problems theyve been having, I had a dodge 2500 two years ago, (brand new) i only put 12k miles on it and sold it, i had nothing but problems, thats just my experience though, I also have a toyota tacoma that i have for running around from job to job, its great, i have 118k miles on it with all orig brakes and everything and they still have 30-40% left....But at 8k lbs id rather have a true 3/4 ton over rated truck then be border line, just my input..

I had a 91 IDI F250 4x4 dana 60 solid front with a banks turbo and turned the wick up with a modified injection pump. I never dyno'd it but it would shit and get! My buddy borrowed my fishing boat, a 23' steel hull 10 ton monster that had dual 7.3 IDI's :) he hauled it with his chevy 5.7 that was a burley machine. He couldnt haul it up the hill over the middle of the Island we have here. I pulled up and hooked up to him and hauled his truck and the boat up the hill no problem!! That was the largest load I ever hauled with that truck but it provoked him to get a duramax the next week. Not only did I daily drive my F250 but so did my Fiancee, she got used to its size and power quickly and is bugging me for my brothers F350 once he sells it. The only tricky part was the locker in the 10.25 rear, would get out from under you on a sharp turn in the rain. as long as you know you need to moniter your SCA's in your coolant and use a QUALITY filter/seperator you'll be fine.

ROBERTK said:

My 03 Silverado has all the bells and whistles. I daily drive it.

Leather, DVD, dual climate, heated seats, all sorts of fancy bells and whistles. And it has lots of power for DD and towing alike. Roomy interior. It just rocks. Good MPG's too.

It rides like a caddy. Way better than a buddies 08 dodge 6.7CTD. The GM brand has the nice riding IFS front end. While not ideal for off road situations, that isn't what I plan on using it for.

Back