• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FSJ D44 swap and junk

Tacedaddy

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheeling a few weeks back and had a blast
1966743_10151953065402957_264464306_n.jpg

Unfortunately Short arms are pissing me off, and my D30's pinion bearing is shot so I drove 300 miles and picked up a pretty decent D44 out of an 82 Grand Cherokee and stripped it down

IMG_0648_zps36167175.jpg

(spare D30 for mocking up brackets)

Next I... bought some brackets
IMG_0642_zpsaa1ca01c.jpg

Thanks Ballistic Fab

I was also having a cooling Issue... but i think this should Fix it
IMG_0647_zps3b53dfc2.jpg

Taking the shafts to work tomorrow to press in new U-joints

4.56's for my 8.8 and 44 as well as rear truetrac and Ballistic Joints should all be in by next tuesday, unfortunately ill be in Tenn when they arrive :(

Very interested in this. I have a D44 from a '79 Wagoneer just like yours and this could be something to look into down the road. I will be following this build.

About 150 for the brackets, I bought a 8 other tabs as well to mount my three links. I have a pretty interesting plan for my Long arms im working up in CAD right now. Kinda a combination of alot of different things i've seen done. My buddies YJ with 60's is eating up alot of my build time though

I did just score some 79 ford lockout hubs for free this evening though!

What's your plan on the bolt pattern?

I swapped my Waggy 44 to 5 lug and put adapters on the 8.8.

Find yourself a set of flat top knuckles and stick some hi-steer on there.

For giggles, here's mine:

2012-01-31_17-09-54_413.jpg

If I had it to go over I would have done my D44 swap differently. I would have taken my 79 HP D44 and cut the long side down to waggy width! Looks like you got a good start though!

Yeah, I wish I would have been able to do that too but Waggy axles are WAY easier to find than HP44's with weld on wedges.

Plus, there's never been a time where the LP held me back from anything.

Yeah, I wish I would have been able to do that too but Waggy axles are WAY easier to find than HP44's with weld on wedges.

Plus, there's never been a time where the LP held me back from anything.

Yea mine had the weld on wedges. So I guess it was a 77?

I had one with cast wedges... I couldn't give that damn thing away. Ended up just using the flat top knuckles off of it and scrapping the rest.

ba8ujuru.jpg

I was quite pleased with mine.... It's not worth the effort without at least a set of alloys and super joints.

I will point out I was completely displeased with my ballistic joints on that jeep. I will never buy another rebuildable joint to use in a rockcrawler. They were awful, revision 2 of that suspension has all 1.25" heims and I would never go back

Last edited:
ba8ujuru.jpg

I was quite pleased with mine.... It's not worth the effort without at least a set of alloys and super joints.

I will point out I was completely displeased with my ballistic joints on that jeep. I will never buy another rebuildable joint to use in a rockcrawler. They were awful, revision 2 of that suspension has all 1.25" heims and I would never go back

That was one awesome Waggy.

Both shortxjdoug and Tacedaddy used/are going to use the Ballistic Fab brackets.

I've recently wanted to cut the b-pillar out of mine just because it's in the way and I NEVER wheel with the doors on. I just put the doors on to store it outside. Even then they leak like hell. As soon as I have a way to store the Jeep inside the shop... good bye b-piller, hello more toob.

Back