• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: Used Tom Wood's CV drive shaft

smithz

NAXJA Forum User
$50 OBO

I think the CL ad has the necessary info, but if I forgot something, please ask.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1861513341.html

3ne3mf3p95O35V25S3a7o507946ff675118aa.jpg

3k93mb3o25O25Y25X3a7o09fd8cc525de1adb.jpg

3k43p43o25V15Z65U1a7o52d9e00bead414c0.jpg

3n23k33p35O45Y05T0a7od4afc234c17b1059.jpg

What's your setup, lift hight and slip yoke eliminater kit. And when you say to long, do you really mean to short. Like when the rear was at full droop, the drive shaft seperated?

Lift is about 5"ish with SYE. No, it was too long. When I actually measured what I needed it was a 32.25". This one is more like 33.5 to 33.75". At full droop it was completely compressed, not separated, and popped out the end plug on a trail somewhere I guess. Unfortunately I trusted that Rusty's would know what length to send when I ordered it, which was stupid on my part. The new one I measured and ordered straight from Tom Wood's, and it is perfect.

Last edited:
$50 for newish parts is a pretty good price. Plus, it's cheaper/easier to get one shortened. A guy would still have to call around for pricing to get it cut and re-balanced.

How long is the spline part of the shaft?

I haven't taken it apart to check, but from looking at their website, I'm 99% sure this is the S spline, so 3".

From their website:
http://4xshaft.com/XJCherokee.html

Spline_Slip_Yoke_Differences.gif

"The S spline is a conventional spline stub that will yield a safe, effective and usable stroke of 3”. The X spline is longer than the S spline. The X spline is cut for the full length of the spline stub. This gives a bit more than twice the contact area between the slip yoke and spline stub and a stroke of 4-1/2". This in and of itself will net more than twice the life on these two components.
With the XB configuration, we will use a heavy rubber boot which is banded down with stainless steel banding to seal all of the contaminates out and keep the grease in. The XC configuration uses the same slip yoke & spline stub but instead of using the rubber boot, we drill and tap the slip yoke for a grease fitting and use a dust cap which has convolutions that follow the spline stub for sealing. We consider the XB configuration to be the longest lasting and best value."

Dang, if I had the cash to spare this would be gone already.

I'll show this to my bud when he get's here today. He lives in Aurora, so it would be cash-and-carry...if he has the cash. :rolleyes:

Never mind, sorry, thought mine was 33.5 but just measured, indeed it's 32.5. I know it could be shortened but I'll just stick with what's there for now.

Last edited:
Pm sent

Go git-em Ken! My bud can't spare the cash after all.

Unfortunately I sold this earlier today to another XJ owner...

Sorry Ken! Wish I had another... unless you want to buy my stock front. :D

Are we supposed to delete sold item threads? Or just let inactivity take them away in 4 weeks?

Back