• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end "clunking"

Jeepkid8037 said:
I had the same problem. Put your car in drive, have a body look at the motor, and hold the brake firm and give it a good punch. If its the motor mount then you should hear the noise or your friend should see the motor jump up a significant ammount.

If its not that i would guess trac bar. Check both sides.

That is the worst idea ever!! DON"T DO IT!!!! you can get the same result with the motor in park if you are looking to see if the mounts are bad. Doing that test in drive is just asking to wreck your XJ or hurt your buddy.

I thought that I would post a follow up here so that if others search for this topic they might be able to find the answer faster than I did.

The front upper shock mounts are isolated from the frame by bushings. There are two for each shock. These parts are easy to replace and if missing or damaged can effect the smothness of your ride to "death wobble". When dammaged a cluncking noise is often heard and a possible grinding as the shock rod rubs on the frame.

Search for the term "Bayonet End Style" on the internet and you will find plenty of replacement parts.

Your local parts store might not have them in stock and but you can order online for less than $5.00 for a pack of 4.

1st post. New to NAXJA, and my first XJ!

I've got the same issue in my recently purchased 1990 xj 4.0, heard a clunk, and noticed the passenger side shock mount under the hood. There was no bushing left up top, just the washer and nut. I bought some cheap replacement bushings from local auto parts store, and tightened the nut down. Less than a week and the new bushing has been chewed up. Now I am back to no bushing! I'll be checking the "Bayonet End Style" from the previous reply also.

It makes me wonder if I have a problem with that passenger side front shock though. Can anyone give advice about how to check a shock to see if it's working properly?

The ones at the parts store are usually for a car that is much smaller than the cherokee and will not last. I did the same thing that you did. I bought the bushings from the car store and one week later they were toast.

I took me forever to find the correct term for them. Once I found they were called "bayonet end style" I was able to find a replacement for the cherokee. They were certainly a better fit than the ones at the autoparts store and they are higher quality as well.

Thanks guys. I found the correct parts online for $4, but they wanted $10 for shipping. Instead, I went to a local pull-apart wrecking yard and found what I needed. Problem solved.

Back