• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frigg'n fuel system

87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
It was running coule of days ago. Missing, lack of power....but running. Went outside a night later....no start. I've got spark and gas....plugs are wet with gas. I can hear the fuel system trying to build pressure. The pump keeps running. I can hear it working in the tank. I hear a strange sound from the fuel rail. Sounds like a hissing noise like air is leaking somewhere but I don't see any gas. I'm guessing the fuel pressure regulator is bad. Would that cause it not to start?

you must remember- you cannot have both spark and gas without bang. You either have spark and no gas, or gas with no spark. "IF" the injectors are shooting- your wet plugs say they are, and "IF" the spark plugs are throwing a good spark....theres gotta be a boom. The #1 problem here is usually the CPS not provideing spark....recheck....and also check the distributor.

-as a side note, if the pump in the tank continues to run (key on/without starting) then its not building pressure- its circulateing back to the tank.
Yes, i`d think the regulator is bad-probably stuck open. Try to find a junkyard reg. to swap in- *with new o-rings* ala~jeeps fuel line repair kit. it`ll be cheaper to test an old one, then buy a new one. Also, pull the vac line off the reg. you have now, and see if it dribbles gas..if so, its a tosser....its sucking gas into the vac line.

Jeeps have a real problem with firing plugs that are wet with gas. If you are getting spark, then the CPS is most likely good. Check the fuel pressure at the rail. The pump should run for a few seconds after you turn the ignition on, then stop. If it doesn't stop, then you either have a pump that won't shut off, or a bad pressure regulator.

The hardest thing most people have to remember is that when you start a fuel injected engine, do not touch the gas pedal until it fires. Pumping the gas pedal will confuse the computer. A trick is to grab the TPS and hold it in the WOT position. That will clue the computer that you have a flooded position and will shut down the injectors.

Ed in North Ga. said:
-as a side note, if the pump in the tank continues to run (key on/without starting) then its not building pressure- its circulateing back to the tank.
Yes, i`d think the regulator is bad-probably stuck open.

After I try to start it, I pull the key out and the pump still runs...it'll run until I pull the battery cable off. There isn't any gas in the vac line of the pressure regulator. I think the pressure regualtor is bad. It just keeps pouring gas into the cylinders and flooding it out.
Thoughts?

87XJ said:
After I try to start it, I pull the key out and the pump still runs...it'll run until I pull the battery cable off. There isn't any gas in the vac line of the pressure regulator. I think the pressure regualtor is bad. It just keeps pouring gas into the cylinders and flooding it out.
Thoughts?

Do you have a schematic - wiring diagram for Renix? Fuel pump shouldn't run for long after ignition switch is OFF. Something's funky but that shouldn't cause flooding by itself. You got multiple problems, me thinks...

Last night I replaced the battery and the coil. I had both checked at Autozone and they tested bad. Let the Heep sit overnight BOOM this morning it started right up. I think I still have a problem with the Fuel Pressure Regulator. If the regulator is bad wouldn't that cause a miss and reduced power?

Back