• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffeners worth it?

The Detours uni-body stiffy's dont wrap the uni-body, they run parallel with the unibody tieing the front and rear suspension points together as well, rosett or plug welds are also used in the center sections of stiffener to tie it to the uni-body in stratigic areas. Their fit is tight & snug to the undercarriage.
The rear suspension tie in or mounting point, dramatically helps the weak factory spring mount from tweaking over time and can also help reinforce already tweaked XJ's.
Our approach to the stiffener is much like the approach found in drag racing since the late 60's and still sold today, used today on modern uni-body racers. (subframe connectors)
We also offer a long-arm version which changes the front lower control arm connection to a weld connection, unfortunitly.....it can't be used with all LA kits. (RE for instance)
Combine our stiffeners with our slyders, you've boxed the entire side of your XJ, they're also offered as a bolt on version, eliminating any welding.

Here's a quick pic of 'just the stiffeners as the would ship.....(XJ~3)

100_573820stiffy.jpg

Great, now I need to get the slyder as well. :yelclap:

Great, now I need to get the slyder as well. :yelclap:

I need to figure out if/how I can make my AJs superrails work with the detours stiffener.....? Anyone done that?

Seems you could just measure the thickness of the Detours stiffener, cut that length off the mounting feet of the AJs rails and weld them to the stiffeners, bolt to pinch seam.

I think it would be pretty slick to set up the detours stiffie, add HD Engineering rocker skins and weld in either braces from uni-rail to rocker or a solid sheet - the boxing effect that would have should add lots of strength to the unibody.

I need to figure out if/how I can make my AJs superrails work with the detours stiffener.....? Anyone done that?

Remove AJ's.....
Clean them up & remove 1.5" of material to include mounting brackets from his sliders.....
Install the Stiffy~System (XJ~3 version).......
Reinstall AJ's to pinch lip, outriggers reduced by 1.5".......
Align/square to the XJ~3 Stiffy, run a bead around the outriggers to the stiffener.....
Clean, prime, paint.....wheel!
People have been doing it for years now with all different brand sliders.

One thing I did neglect to mention is, even the weld on versions of our system is removeable when installed thoughtfully......just a nice bonus, down the road.

Awesome, and there is no reason to need "bracing" on the underside of the frame-rail?

Awesome, and there is no reason to need "bracing" on the underside of the frame-rail?

Well, if you land hard enough on the frame rail (I dunno how - I've never really needed my sliders...) you could crush it on a rock. That would suck.

Back