• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford nine inch

asahagun

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 28 spline small bearing ford 9 with a. Mini spool. Want to pull the mini spool.. Buying a Detroit and moving up to 31 or 35 spline is what I want to do, but can't afford new shafts, and a Detroit at once.

But I need to pull the spool soon,and spiders are like 1-150 bucks that I don't want to waste since I will eventually put in a Locker.

Thoughts? Advice?

Won't ever run anything bigger than 37si

Thanks
Adam

Last edited:
What is your current gear ratio?

I'd start over with a fresh housing, and build it up from scratch in the config that you want. Everything about what you have is not great.

Your stock center section is most likely the smaller version and won't accept 35 spline, most can only fit 31s. I also won't trust a small bearing regular duty housing with 37's. MAYBE with a truss and some gusseting but like Cal said you're better off with an aftermarket housing. You can find stock 31 spline spiders for near free from somebody else who has upgraded to a locker

or at least a big bearing housing where you can upgrade to 35 spline easy

I wish I could, but it was hard enough finding a decent rear axle with 4.56 gears in it, and 9 inches can be great. can't afford a regear plus all the rest of it.

you can find a mitsubishi montero axle (9.5" ring gear) with factory 4.56 and air locker in it, then match a waggy 44 front. my buddy has one for sale right now actually with discs. too bad you're in socal

buy the new spider gears and be done with it, then start looking for a replacement axle. the 9" is a good axle but it needs alot of mods, upgrades and $$ to make it a solid contender, so if you want to stick with a 9" with big tires start saving the $$, but look at other options.

Thanks for the advice.. I found a few 31 spline complete open carrier online for dirt cheap, cheaper than i can find fricking spiders right now. was thinking about maybe doing that and getting 31 spline shafts out of a junker or something to.

probably right on just getting the spiders. If my dana 35 could run john bull on 33's and not brake a shaft i should be good with the 9 and 33's for now.

any thoughts on where to land some?

Last edited:
I have right and left 31 and 28 spline set of spare axles out of a full size F150 pickup/Bronco (1977-79). The 31's can be cut and resplined the 28 too depending on the width of yours. The 28's need to be narrow enough to be resplined at the point that the axles step up in thickness. You can have either for free. Come get them. As far as 35 spline your carrier won't work, the carrier's too small to house the big bearings. As far as running the 31's with 37's you might be pushing it. I ran 35's on 28 spline Detroit locker for 20+ years till I finally broke an axle. I up graded to 35 spline last year so I can't won't use the other axles. I will look to see if I have the original carrier but I sold the Detroit. I also have 10 or so yokes if you need any. PM me for my # be patient I may not get back to you fast! Currie can cut and respline cheaper than any one I know. Call them for a price they'll work with you.

Last edited:
Actually that's a common problem for 9" running anything bigger than 37's I've seen it happen a few times.

Actually that's a common problem for 9" running anything bigger than 37's I've seen it happen a few times.

the 9" is not as bullet-proof as people think. the low pinion design is a VERY low pinion compared to most other axles. hi performabce carriers usually have additional gusseting as well as an adjustable thrust block to keep the pinion from wanting to walk out the front of the carrier.
9" is a great axle for maximum performance, but it takes alot of $$ to do it right.

the 9" is not as bullet-proof as people think. the low pinion design is a VERY low pinion compared to most other axles. hi performabce carriers usually have additional gusseting as well as an adjustable thrust block to keep the pinion from wanting to walk out the front of the carrier.
9" is a great axle for maximum performance, but it takes alot of $$ to do it right.

i could be wrong... but i would thing that the super low pinion would mean that the gears dont need as aggressive of a helical cut, reducing the tendency to "walk" away from each other.

agreed that the cases are weak though. aftermarket ones have solved this issue.

Back