• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing bad lifters??

With as much as you are spending in oil/sea foam, and mmo You could have bought lifters...Although.. isn't it a bad idea to put new lifters in on an old cam? I"m pretty sure you are supposed to replaced both at the same time.. because they develop wear patterns together..

With as much as you are spending in oil/sea foam, and mmo You could have bought lifters...Although.. isn't it a bad idea to put new lifters in on an old cam? I"m pretty sure you are supposed to replaced both at the same time.. because they develop wear patterns together..

IIRC 5-90 said in another thread that it was OK to replace all lifters and rods without replacing the cam, assuming the cam is OK.

Ya, I know! I guess I wanted to run the route that others have encouraged me to run, that is to do what you can with the least amount of $ involved. I have not run a "push rod" motor before, it is all new to me and the sound can become very discouraging if you havent found a resolve.
I am hoping that I might be able to break something free "if" it is loose, all the while I am making the attempt to free "it", I could be damaging the engine.
I am going to try one last thing. When I do the oil change this time, i will flush it and then use a lighter weight and MMO.
When I left this morning, I did notice that the Clanking etc. was not as noticable.

IIRC 5-90 said in another thread that it was OK to replace all lifters and rods without replacing the cam, assuming the cam is OK.

Yep - and I've done it in several vehicles, on several occasions.

Flat Tappet Commandments

1) Thou Shalt Notinstall used lifters onto a new camshaft.
2) Thou Shalt Not install used lifers onto a used camshaft, unless thou art certain beyond doubt that each lifter goeth upon the same lobe from which is was removed previously.
3) Thou Mayest install new lifters onto a used camshaft without harm. It is preferred that thou checkest the camshaft to ensure that thine lobe lift is still within specification (and, if possible, check to make certain that thine lobes are still properly tapered to encourage lifter rotation.)
4) Shouldst thou note a gouge of any sort in the heel of thine lifter upon any lobe of thine camshaft, thou shalt immediately make certain that thine entire camshaft is not worn beyond service, nor that any of thine lifter bores are burred or flawed in such manner as to prevent rotation of lifters.
5) Thou Shalt be certain that all of thine parts are clean upon reassembly. Perfectly clean.
6) Thou Shalt be generous with thine assembly lubricant. "Too much is almost enough." Assembly lubricant will dissolve in thine engine oil, and shalt not cause thine engine any damage.
7) Thou Shalt run a lightweight non-detergent oil (typically a 30ND) for thine first oil change, and thou shalt change that oil in five hundred miles/ten hours or less.
8) Thou Shalt follow any and all torque specifications, recommendations, and procedures incident to a camshaft or valvetrain component replacement, particularly if thee usest mechanical tappets.

Back