• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally caged the mall crawler.

haters-gonna-hate1.jpg

Note the title, this is his MALL CRAWLER... Dean has a second rig he uses for actual wheeling where he might flop, and it's got a rather good cage attached to it. For all the haters, will this make his rig less safe? No. It's not gonna be falling off cliffs, barrel rolling in the dirt, etc. Sure, you can roll on the street as well, but I guess I should quit driving my completely uncaged XJ on the street then.

I agree with Cracker on this. I do have a question though.

-Why half ass something thats "suppose to" save your life when you need it?

Makes so sense and not something I want to chance with a shitty cage
Have you conducted any testing to support your assertion that this cage is "shitty"? Have you even heard of somebody rolling with one of these cages installed? If not then your posts are looking very troll-like.

some of you get so into this hardcore xj deal that you think everyone with an xj should have a cage. even grandma with the 4 banger. i dont think it is the best cage but i dont know that it is "shitty". you dont have to have a million tubes running all over the place to have a sturdy cage. i have personally seen 2 cageless xj roll and the tops were barely tweaked.

Have you conducted any testing to support your assertion that this cage is "shitty"? Have you even heard of somebody rolling with one of these cages installed? If not then your posts are looking very troll-like.

He is not a troll. He's an old timer. Don't call him out because he doesn't share your thoughts.

The cage is crappy whether you are hanging out at a mall or not. It has nothing to do with being hardcore. If you are going to invest in safety and a cage, do it right or don't do it at all.

To those of you who are trying to defend this as a 'Mall Krawler so it doesn't matter' I fear more problems driving a modified vehicle on the road at high speed FAR MORE than I do off road crawling around at low speed. Too many times have I seen a vehicle flop off road and no one get hurt or even a scratch but when a XJ rolls at 60 MPH the end result are usually less than good. Here is a untriangulated (is that a word?) cage that is bolted to minimal sheet metal that will not do its job at the higher speeds.

Regardless, I hope that cage never has to try to do its job and I wish the OP and his family safe travels.

He is not a troll. He's an old timer. Don't call him out because he doesn't share your thoughts.

The cage is crappy whether you are hanging out at a mall or not. It has nothing to do with being hardcore. If you are going to invest in safety and a cage, do it right or don't do it at all.

To those of you who are trying to defend this as a 'Mall Krawler so it doesn't matter' I fear more problems driving a modified vehicle on the road at high speed FAR MORE than I do off road crawling around at low speed. Too many times have I seen a vehicle flop off road and no one get hurt or even a scratch but when a XJ rolls at 60 MPH the end result are usually less than good. Here is a untriangulated (is that a word?) cage that is bolted to minimal sheet metal that will not do its job at the higher speeds.

Regardless, I hope that cage never has to try to do its job and I wish the OP and his family safe travels.
But, can you agree that it is not a step down in safety, and still better than no cage?

LOL.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum..

But, can you agree that it is not a step down in safety, and still better than no cage?

Let us hope we never find out.

You have no idea what he paid for this setup so that's a moot point. I'm glad you ass clowns are so happy to shit on a guy spending a day with his son installing something on HIS jeep.

:rolleyes: XXXX you.

You have no idea what he paid for this setup so that's a moot point. I'm glad you ass clowns are so happy to shit on a guy spending a day with his son installing something on HIS jeep.

:rolleyes: XXXX you.

He paid too much. .!. :D .!.

That cage will help on a flop or a single roll over, but if you roll it at speed and put it over more then once it will end up as something the fire department will have to cut away to get you out of the jeep. It will bend and fold at all the week spots, adding real triangulation would help that "Bolt On" cage but I would not install it if it was free.

RollLands.jpg

A 1.5 roll over when the breaks failed and started rolling backwards on a hill side, if they had that bolt in cage like that, I think they would have been trapped in the rig.

i dont mean to pile on, but i forgot to mention it, that cage is gonna vibrate like a tuning fork at 70mph on the freeway, mine is weld-in and still did it before i started tieing it in with sheet metal at the top.

rolls like the one letterman posted are scary... i have no idea how they got out unharmed, AS-IS. nevermind with an orange head knocker coming right at you.

Back