• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few Issues with 89 XJ

I dont know why i didn't think of this but i think we may have stumbled on the problem while talking it over with a buddy over some beers this weekend. I have been bleeding from the brake lines since all of the bleeders are corroded and nearly snapped off when i tried to free them...Those being on the TOP of the caliper must be bled to get the air out of the calipers...DUH

gotta figure out how to get those bleeders free.

I've had luck using a pencil butane torch, cheap at Harbor Freight. Heat the surrounding area, then let it start to cool and hit it around the thread area with a little penetrating oil. After it cools, wipe clean, then repeat with the heat/cool/oil.

that was the thing that finally got it loose. my neighbor had a 3/4 socket (i have mostly metric tools) and with that i was able to get all the bleeders loose. The brake line wrenches i was using killed one fitting, but the socket was able to get it loose.

Finally drove it and the brakes suck haha but they work and held the truck on a very steep incline when we went out to test it in the woods. Thanks everyone for the help! this thing is FINALLY able to be wheeled and driven. The last thing left now is getting the running lights working, i think i'm just going to wire up a new circuit with a relay for those and call it a day, getting sick of troubleshooting the stock wiring to no avail haha

that was the thing that finally got it loose. my neighbor had a 3/4 socket (i have mostly metric tools) and with that i was able to get all the bleeders loose. The brake line wrenches i was using killed one fitting, but the socket was able to get it loose.

Finally drove it and the brakes suck haha but they work and held the truck on a very steep incline when we went out to test it in the woods. Thanks everyone for the help! this thing is FINALLY able to be wheeled and driven. The last thing left now is getting the running lights working, i think i'm just going to wire up a new circuit with a relay for those and call it a day, getting sick of troubleshooting the stock wiring to no avail haha

Yeah, I understand. Go for it, but put it on your "Jeep-Do" list. I have found that as you start bypassing circuits the problems tend to keep spreading out until things are completely out of hand.

I totally know what you mean, I think that is half the reason i spent so much time troubleshooting that one issue for sooo much time. I have never spent so much time trying to find an electrical problem! I thought it would be a fairly simple fix, which it most likely is, but if i can't ever trace the damn thing down ill never know haha!

Here is the jeep in its natural environment. I gotta admit we were sooo close to selling this thing after all the issues we had with it, but now that stuff is nearly worked out we are so much happier with it.

30275_929347448208_10720138_50238470_2643258_n.jpg

The jeep-do list:
Fix running lights
Bastard pack rear leafs to eliminate lift blocks
Tires
Fix oil coming into air box (ccv issue from what i can find reading online)
Front wheel bearings and u-joints

My usual fix for frozen/corroded bleeders on the back is new wheel cylinders. I hate working on drum brakes but even so, they only take about 15 minutes each to swap out for brand new ones and the total job costs about 20-30 bucks in parts.

Back