• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Flare Poll

Better fender flare poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[B said:
89jeepie[/b]]u can use tj flairs on a xj?
Yeah but it looks a little weird to me
How do these look "weird"?

Asshesits.jpg

How do these look "weird"?

Asshesits.jpg

For starters, the front flare has a very blunt angle at the leading edge. It doesn't conform to the shape of the Jeep. I see the same at the trailing edge of the rear flare.

Hey, you asked. :)

And to the OP, that's the thing, some people see stuff like that and some don't. I'm a right brained engineer so I see beauty and ugly in I-beam shapes and flowers both aesthetically and structurally.

I think there is a market for your flares. For the bolt on crowd and the crowd that like things to look OEM/factory these flares would be easy to justify. I was planning on TJ flares even though it would bug the piss out of me every time I look at it. Your flares are very attractive to me.

As for pricing, take a look at ebay wrt Bushwacker flares and the Chinese knock-offs, particularly for the YJ/TJ flares. If you put your price somewhere in the middle I think it would be a fair price. The Chinese prices reflect cheap labour, the real BW prices reflect gouging.

$0.02

For starters, the front flare has a very blunt angle at the leading edge. It doesn't conform to the shape of the Jeep. I see the same at the trailing edge of the rear flare.

Hey, you asked. :)

For what it's worth, you picked the two parts that aren't the original lines of the TJ flare: those ends were trimmed and shaped by that particular installer.

I'm not about to try to convince anyone what "looks good," it's obviously and entirely subjective.

But my opinion is that they're the best looking flares you can put on an XJ...

$.03...

Robert

For what it's worth, you picked the two parts that aren't the original lines of the TJ flare: those ends were trimmed and shaped by that particular installer.

I'm not about to try to convince anyone what "looks good," it's obviously and entirely subjective.

But my opinion is that they're the best looking flares you can put on an XJ...

$.03...

Robert

Exactly.

The point I guess is that there is enough of a market for anything. If you build them they will get sold.

Id like to see pictures of the rear im running no flares in Californa which is Ok but when i move back to Oregon they hand out 300.00 tickets for no tire coverage. plus you get mud all over your rig which makes it hard to see. They should have a function of being removable for trails though. When you get them done let me know will probably buy a set problem with bushwackers and all the other flares on the market is there to frigging big for tires like my 32s and i cut off all the old hardware with a sawzall so im gonna need something like a bushwacher as far as install just dont wante them to be hugh so drop me a line Thanks Jason

Id like to see pictures of the rear im running no flares in Californa which is Ok but when i move back to Oregon they hand out 300.00 tickets for no tire coverage. plus you get mud all over your rig which makes it hard to see. They should have a function of being removable for trails though. When you get them done let me know will probably buy a set problem with bushwackers and all the other flares on the market is there to frigging big for tires like my 32s and i cut off all the old hardware with a sawzall so im gonna need something like a bushwacher as far as install just dont wante them to be hugh so drop me a line Thanks Jason

Jason, one set of flares is actually flexible to help with most trails. If you're really hardcore then they do screw on like BWs so they are also easy to remove. These flares are smaller than BWs so should work a lot better with your 32s. I'll let you know when some of them get done and more picts will get posted then too.
Thanks, Doug

Oh as far as fasteners try rivenut or threaded insurt they are great
Thanks for the suggestion. Threaded nutserts were considered but they were pricey. A whole set of flares uses almost 40 fasteners so something that costs a buck or two per each gets expensive real fast. These flares will probably use the weatherproof, self-tapping, industrial roofing screw because it has a large head, it's inexpensive, holds real well, and simple to use. Of course, the flares could be installed with whatever hardware someone wanted to use.
Thanks, Doug

i'd buy a set in a heartbeat. look really good.

are you gonna use a stainless screw by any chance? my rig is mainly gonna be hitting the beach so anything not stainless will rust out quick

Lawn edging all the way, probably the cheapest most flexible way to get the tires covered. :D Maybe 15-20$ if that for the 30 foot length of edging, 2-3 boxes of nuts/bolts from wally world, and a bit of time. I have half the edging left for replacements if needed too, though I havent needed it yet (one bolt pulled through in the whole year of driving, washer fixed that)

P7220004.jpg

P7220003.jpg

I think considering that its lawn edging, it looks really good! I might give that a try up front just to stay leagl till I figure out what I want to do.

Lawn edging all the way, probably the cheapest most flexible way to get the tires covered. :D Maybe 15-20$ if that for the 30 foot length of edging, 2-3 boxes of nuts/bolts from wally world, and a bit of time. I have half the edging left for replacements if needed too, though I havent needed it yet (one bolt pulled through in the whole year of driving, washer fixed that)

:puke:

May look like ass (I admit, the TJ flares look a hell of a lot better, as do just about any other flares. lol) but it gets the job done.

I originally planned on getting TJ flares but the junkyard had a dry spell for them. Inspection was coming up so I went cheap and did the edging. Did it nice (cut the "bulb" end of the edging at the top so i could put the bolts inside and cover them up, make it look "clean" if you can call it that at all). But really, after I got it inspected the edging started growing on me.. or maybe it was more the not spending money on flares :D

I admit there are ALOT of options that look better, pretty much all of them, but I dont think theres much better in the function for the money category. I have beat on them enough and they have held up to everything so I cant complain, and now its just part of the rig and I cant make myself get rid of it (esp since the rest of my rig has started looking progressively worse over the past year(s) and the edging looks like it belongs now). They will hold me over until I get bumpers and build tube fenders between rock rails, maybe an exo, and a front bumper.

Last edited:
Back