• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch who makes a good one

5-90 said:
No change - the fan runs on the front of an idler pully, and the water pump is elsewhere. The water pump is the "bare" pully right over the crankshaft, and you'll note that the belt-driven fan is off to the pax side - the idler shaft and bearings are part of the AC Compressor support bracket. Yes, you have to replace the whole damn thing if the bearings go out. No, the last one I bought didn't cost much. No, I haven't designed a serviceable assembly yet (not enough sample parts to tear to bits yet...)

5-90

you want some sample parts ? tell me what you need...pm me.

Thanks 5-90. I think I'll lock mine this fall. It's not about the money for a new one, it's more of a better cooling affect. As it is, my electric fan's almost always on in the city and the temps are above 210 but closer to 220-225 ( Next mark above 210 on a 98 model ). A radiator flush and RedLine Water wetter didn't change anything. It's fine on the highway.

If its your daily driver and you arent concerned about cost then spend the $100 and get an OEM fan clutch and call it a day. A locked fan clutch is more than a little louder than normal. They are loud as shit and extremely annoying and will knock your gas mileage down a couple MPG on the HWY. Trust me on this, I went thorough this on my XJ with one of my defective units.

Then I might as well put it off until next spring. I'm in the process of buying a house right now, that's why I said in the fall. As for the DD, I've got 3 DD that I rotate between, so it's not 100% a DD.

I was wondering if your local dealers are acually only asking 100$ for the fan clutch as my local dealer wants 130$. Anyone have any luck with those online mopar/chrysler dealers ?

Pete

I got mine a few months back on newmoparparts.com and I think it was 110 with shipping. I'd go Mopar over the parts store brands. My temps are in check now and I am very satisfied with spending the extra money on OEM

Thanks

I just purchased one from newmoparparts.com for 94$ plus shipping. Hopefully it will help with my problems, i think it has a lot to due with my carquest one no doing the job.

i guess we will wait and see..

pete

If ones fan clutch (mine) is starting to go out, would it be worth it to install an electric cooling fan instead? Or too much hassle/problems?

I believe mine is going out because when at idle (at operating temp), the fan seems to be slipping; not going as fast as it should be.

My first post! yay

BUCKET, I'm glad you posted this question - I'm curious, too. Has anyone tried the AC Delco clutch? It's available online for $37 (Part #15-80287). The bolt-through approach sounds workable if you don't mind losing a little fuel mileage. Should work well for towing or for offroading with a heavy load in the Summer. Thanks for the tip, Red! I'll have to make one of those up from my spares.. :cool:

peeweexj said:
If ones fan clutch (mine) is starting to go out, would it be worth it to install an electric cooling fan instead? Or too much hassle/problems?

I believe mine is going out because when at idle (at operating temp), the fan seems to be slipping; not going as fast as it should be.

My first post! yay

Peewee,
The efan mod is a popular, yet often improperly done mod. The biggest factor is finding a fan that will flow enough CFMs and still fit in that location. Having said that, look at Zirgo brand fans on ebay. You'll want one that flows at least 2000 CFMs. After that, you would have to make a shroud for it and then shave off the mount for the stock fan clutch and mount. You'll need a different size belt as well. I used a 795k6 I believe. As far as controlling the fan, I wired it in with the stock efan.

All in all, it was about the same price as these high dollar fan clutches that people are buying from the dealer.

My OEM fan clutch was 12 yrs old, so I replaced it with a Hayden from CarQuest. It didn't even work as well as the old one did!
So, in the interest of trying what others have tried before me, I drilled a few evenly spaced pilot holes in the old one and put in screws to lock it in place. My Jeep sounded like a jet taking off at anything over 1500 rpm, felt like it was all loaded up even when empty, mileage went down, and still got a little hot in the desert above 100*. Yes, the belt was tight and radiator unrestricted... ;^]

Last edited:
DeftwillP said:
Peewee,
The efan mod is a popular, yet often improperly done mod. The biggest factor is finding a fan that will flow enough CFMs and still fit in that location. Having said that, look at Zirgo brand fans on ebay. You'll want one that flows at least 2000 CFMs. After that, you would have to make a shroud for it and then shave off the mount for the stock fan clutch and mount. You'll need a different size belt as well. I used a 795k6 I believe. As far as controlling the fan, I wired it in with the stock efan.

All in all, it was about the same price as these high dollar fan clutches that people are buying from the dealer.

DeftwillP, any idea what the OEM belt driven fan produces in CFM at idle and at about 2000 rpm? Just curious at what rpm it would be comparable to the 2000 CFM electric fan you suggest. BTW, I know there are also 2-speed electric fans that run faster if the engine coolant reaches a higher setpoint. Some BMW's have these. -Rick

Rick,
Generally the 4.0 needs 2000 CFMs from both fans to keep it cool. I don't know where this stat came from, but in suggesting an efan to replace a clutch fan, I would say be at or above this figure. With the flow of your new fan combined with your already stock efan, you should have sufficient cooling.

I know this much: I can sit in a parking lot in central Tx in 100+ degrees with the AC maxed out and stay below 210 indefinitely.

So, 2000 CFM total from both fans? I was just wondering how much the A/C aux fan puts out, because I have an extra aux fan from an '87 Jeep that I could put in my 89, perhaps, in place of the mechanical fan. If the aux fan puts out 1000 CFM or more, I'd be set with two producing 2000 CFM total.

Anyone know? Thanks, Rick

I probably wouldn't chance it with that setup. The only way I would go dual with OEM fans is if both were the upgraded style. Methinks 97+

Sorry to interupt, but how would you connect the electric fan that would replace the stock mechanical fan? Would it be wired up to come on as soon as the engine is on, or would it also have a temp sensor trigger? If temp sensor triggered, where / how would the sensor mount since the stock sensor above the thermostat is what triggers the aux fan at around 215 degrees.

I put the Zirgo 3300cfm fan on my 95 XJ and I love the cooling it provides but hate the problem it developed!

I did the setup following the write-up on Go-Jeeps website and fabbed some stuff of my own but basically I can't use the A/C because the belt squeals so loud!! I have tried the adjustment and had it so tight I thought it would fly apart, it still squealed!

I did remove the A/C and the bracket underneath and cut the factory fan mount boss off so now I can't go back unless I go and get another A/C bracket and stock fan.

That said I have had this set up in 100+ temps and it never got above 190 (W/O the A/C) if I had it running all the time. I wired it into the positive of the AUX fan so that when the ECU told it to bring in the AUX fan for additional cooling it brought both in: trouble is it won't bring them in until 220 and in my opinion that is too hot. Once they come on the temp drops like a rock though!

There is a thread of several people who have tried to put the newer stock AUX fans onto the system and they don't pull enough air when using the A/C is the concensus, there is a stock fan out of a ford taurus that is supposed to be the shizil-it but I don't recall the year of the ford, do a search for electric fan and I am sure you will find it, time vs cost savings is worth wading through some posts!

Hope that helps your decision making process!

JC95

Back