• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fall Flog--November 12-13--Hale Mtn AL

Just pulled in and what a blast! Only damage was to the trailer and that will be fixed easily with the assistance of the tree in the front yard. Thanks again to all that helped make this possible.

What happened to the trailer? I lost a board and trailer shackles inverted when we towed it halfway up.the dirt highway

Great trip guys. Thanks to all those who helped out. 256offroad (David) and Michael did a great job of helping us newbies to the park find out where to go. David and his dad mentioned Hale Mtn back at the Crawl. I think it was discussed by others there too. Good choice.

The people were friendly and seemed excited to have us there. For a beautiful weekend there weren't many other riders there but the NAXJA crew came out and had some fun. Everyone camped at the top of the mountain and there is no electricity but we managed. They unloaded some home made porta-potties (never seen that done before) and other the wind cooling your bottom, they worked really well.

Camping went pretty good until I realized my tent cap was missing so i used a tarp. Well, the severe winds that came up Sat night kept throwing my tent walls around. Chief and I placed tires on the end of the tarp because it was whipping so bad. They also acted as a wind block. I survived the night. Didn't sleep hardly at all.

This trip was fun because Cottontail, High2by and my self all brought our daughters with us. A father-daughter ride if you will. Ollie complained the entire first day saying the bumpy rocks were making her sick and giving her a headache. It all got better though. Hot dogs and marshmellows were a great way to end the day.

No trail map is available but it really wasn't needed. Trails are marked but were sometimes tough to see due to the tons of leaves covering the group. Somehow being elected trail leader, I worked my way around the park and just made sure to stay off the black diamond trails, the toughest ones. We climed a lot of dry creekbeds and alot of rock hills. Really fun stuff.

I put a little dent in my drivers front and rear doors climbing through a creekbed. Also mashed the area behind the rear tire on the pass side pretty good. Looks like a cut and fold will be order soon.

There was a lot of dents dings and broken parts. Struggler, I found you bolt from your steering. I left it on the tailgate of your truck.

I had a great time and I hope everyone else did too.

Last edited:
Way to go Ed! ...so where did you find it at?

What happened to the trailer? I lost a board and trailer shackles inverted when we towed it halfway up.the dirt highway

On the way up I guess a rock grabbed the back and pulled the rear lip out a couple inches and knocked out a marker light. That was the only issue. The Jeep on the other hand did amazing and altough it's not the old TJ, we were both genuinely impressed with how it did. looking forward to recouping some funds and heading out again soon.

Had a very good time putting some good trail miles on Betty again. Alos flopped it on her side to a point where I couldn't self recover for the first time ever, but no damage so its all good. Other than a scratch or two I don't think I got any damage. The people where nice and I enjoyed seeing everyone. My next "new" plasce to wheel will be Mountainside though, I want to try it out!

Had a very good time putting some good trail miles on Betty again. Alos flopped it on her side to a point where I couldn't self recover for the first time ever, but no damage so its all good. Other than a scratch or two I don't think I got any damage. The people where nice and I enjoyed seeing everyone. My next "new" plasce to wheel will be Mountainside though, I want to try it out!

What's the date for Mountainside? I've only been there once, and it was years ago with a different XJ.....

Way to go Ed! ...so where did you find it at?
101_1598.jpg

I found it laying about where Cottontail's Jeep is in this picture. In the background is the juction for Axle Wall and Whiskey Still. Chief said you guys spent a bunch of time looking for it on the night run. When I said "look what I found" he knew who it belonged to right away.

So do I win anything?

had an awesome time guys!!!

i talked to her for awhile before we headed out yesterday afternoon. talked to her about the camping and the road to the camp ground.

I mentioned to her about camping at the bottom of the hill behind the rvs. she said they are working on bulldozing the area for camping....may even have electric sites!!!

the park has only been open for 3 years and has come ALONG ways. it used to be run by the owners son (Glenn) who recently died in a car accident back in july. this left the owner (the older lady and gentlemen at the gate who live in the mobile home) to run and manage the whole park. this is why there scheduling is changing the first of the year. I will be in contact with her about helping with trail maintenance as well as other things next year.

she said her sons ultimate goal was run power to the top and have a barn with a big screen tv and pool table :woohoo:..... but estimated cost for power run up there is around $10k!!.

she also said that there is a new road planned out.... the windy one we took has been there for years...

so it looks like next time we are up there we can camp at the bottom of the hill(no wind) right next to the facilities as well as have power!!!

hope to get pics from maggie here soon.

Seems like if they put up a meter base pole, have an inspector come in a check out the wiring, and have the power company come hook it up they'll run it up there for free... That what we did, anyways. Has a seperate power bill but it didn't cost 10k.

Either way, I waaaaannnted to go!

Team Struggle had a blast! Great to see everybody again!

The only thing i would NOT do over was my over exuberant entrance into camp sat afternoon! I'm sorry Taylor!

I really liked the trails and the nearness to the campground, but the road in needs work!

The butcher's bill.....

Lots of sheetmetal, tweeked passenger side a pillar, more broken fiberglass on the hatch, front dana 44 R&P set.

I want a flog closer to the middle of the chapter but there is nowhere to wheel in that area any more! ARGH!

The butcher's bill.....

Lots of sheetmetal, tweeked passenger side a pillar, more broken fiberglass on the hatch, front dana 44 R&P set.

Eh... its nothing we can't fix! Only thing that's really any worse than it already was is the A-pillar and rear quarter next to the hatch, but I think with some more jacking and winching we should be able to get it all back to normal. Got more work to do before Feb but maybe we'll have some time in a couple of weeks when Im down to work on it some.

Thought I would sign up! Had a blast with everyone and Tim don't worry about it shit happens man. I hope that fingers gets better. Now let's see some pics and videos!

We all had a blast as well. It was great to see some old faces again and to see some new faces for the first time. Weather was great, outside of the wind and the trees and trails were beautiful!!

Our trip started good but ended up blowing a lower radiator hose as we were pulling into a gas station. Talk about good timing... Just a few minutes and it was changed and we were back on the road. As for trail damage, I got my front passenger side door and that was last of them. I think all the body panels now have "character".

Wheeled the ole Jeep and still hooked to the camper and made the 2 hour drive home with no issues.

I love my XJ!!!!! I've got to wheel more often!!!

Back