• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra, extra! Madman wants more voltage! Read all about it!

why not by a dc to ac converter then step it down to 24v. This could be done for around 100.00 or so depending on how many lights, and how much the converter is. They have them every where now. And your local radio shack will have a step down transformer/power supply.

This set up will be easier and cheaper than adding another alternator. It is your choice though.

I work for a crop dusting company in CA. First it is correct that if you leave the lights on for more than about twenty minutes at a time the bulbs will burn out because of the extreme heat inside the case. The case will not melt though ( i have replaced them) secondly our shitty little super b planes we have only use one light and that is all they need to light up a 80' wide runway. four is overkill but it would be awsome.

lost1 said:
I figure a step-up transformer should do the trick but I feel like I'm missing something other than sanity. Any ideas?

You need AC to use a step up transformer, DC will not work. You could do switched DC through a transformer and get the required voltage. That would be a project! I don't know, but the transformer you need might be a tad heavy, not counting the high amperage astable vibrator and rectifier.

My first idea, and maybe not feasible, is to change out your stock alternator for a 24v model, along with your battery, starter etc. You could still run 12vdc for your Radios, 12v lights etc through a high amperage voltage regulator.

Of course those lights might work at 12vdc, they may not be as bright and amp draw will be about twice normal rating.

53guy said:
I'd be carefull with those. Check and make sure that they can be used for full duty. I know aircraft that they can only be run for 15 min before they have to be shut off to cool down or you'll melt the housings and burn out the bulb. You can run into a lot of issues with that. But they sure are bright, I'll tell you that!

ya thats true, forgot all about that.
pretty sure they have a very low hour life compared to 'offroad lites' that are built for extended on periods. the lights you have are made for landings, which take a few minutes and like 53guy said then have to be shut off to keep out of trouble. so if you need short term day light your in luck, but its sounding like a lot of trouble for 15 minutes of daytime again.

x3 on the sell them and get good ones. I am waiting for my LightForce 170's to get here (3-4 days I hope) lighter than most anything out there, focusable and for me up here I got a lense that makes snow much nicer to drive in. will be giving updates when I get to find out for sure.

Well that last post was pretty constructive, but otherwise I really appreciate the feedback. I think I'm probably just going to go ahead and sell the lights, since with all the additional stuff under the hood required to make this work, I'd be adding a lot more trouble to my waterproofing than I care to. That snorkle in my avatar is functional, after all...probably best to keep it that way.

I run a pair of 12v 100w landing lights on front. They work really well and I'm pretty happy with them. Given that they're designed for the purpose of lighting up the runway from altitude, they have a fairly narrow focus, but WAY bright. I have run them for fairly long periods of time and haven't had a problem yet with them burning out. The ones that I have are 4" and fit in the standard rubber body tractor housings. I upgraded the stock wiring that came with the housings, zero problems with any meltdown or anything that way. And they were only $14 a piece up here. It was a no brainer for me.

-kelly

Back