• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust? who,s heard what ? and how's it sound

Slammed_am said:
Anyone hear the Gibson catback?

I have the Gibson catback. It sounds nice, a little throatier than stock, but w/ the windows rolled up, its not very noticable until high RPMs. I wish it was a little louder, but maybe thats just because I'm 17. :laugh:

my longtube headers/2.5" stainless/high flow cat/DF 40 series sounded great with no tailpipe but now i put the tailpipe on and don't get me wrong it's still pretty loud and sounds like a beast but it drones a decent amount inside now and sometimes gets a little annoying..

although i have no carpet or anything and most of the drain plugs are out..

i have a 90 xj with 4.0 ,5.0 ford injectors,no cat,2 1/4 exhast with a super 40. i also own an 88 yj with 74 258,600 holley, 2 1/2 exhast with an origanal 40 flowmaster. the yj sounds good ,but a little loud with the hard top off. i'm very happy with the xj, sounds great and sounds the best out of any strait 6 i've ever heard.at idle it almost sounds like a v8. not loud at all under normal driving conditions. also sounds good when you get on it. very happy.mike

Damn does that 40 series sound good :) The Borla's a bit too Ricey for my liking.

Sounds So good in fact that I went and picked one up today!

Has anyone removed the cat? Hows that sound? flow?

cheers,
Rowdy
98 XJ sport

I have had a Flowmaster 40 for years and wouldn't change a thing. It is great. A little more HP plus a nice rumble that does not attract the wrong type of attention. It has taken some good hits in Moab and it still is in great shape. I run Borla headers also. You can't go wrong with the Flowmaster 40.

I have a flowmaster 50 and if I did it again I'd go with the 40.

It isn't very loud at all.

I believe there are sound tracks on the flowmaster web site too!

Those that say they have the Flowmaster 50 series and it is isnt loud, do you have stock pipe on there or something? I have a Magnaflow high flow cat and 2.5" pipe from the cat back with my 50 series deltaflow and my exhaust is surprisingly loud. It sounds great, but its surprisingly loud.

Atl XJ said:
Those that say they have the Flowmaster 50 series and it is isnt loud, do you have stock pipe on there or something? I have a Magnaflow high flow cat and 2.5" pipe from the cat back with my 50 series deltaflow and my exhaust is surprisingly loud. It sounds great, but its surprisingly loud.

well....lound is in the ear of the beholder? i compare to my old chevelle, with a 350hp 350, 2.5in exhaust into turbo muffler, dumped in front the the axle....it would set of car alarms idling through the parking lot...so, compared to that, my jeep with a strait pipe is quiet!

Well since no one has chimed in about Magnaflow I thought I'd give them a vote... I deffinitly think they sound better than flowmaster's. Deeper sound, with a nice tone - not too loud, but deep enough to keep me happy, and no resonance...

Just my $.03

Will.

I wanted to thank you all for your insight on the exhaust question,I have had a few cars with flowmasters,glasspacks, etc... but wasn't sure what sounded good on a 4.0 jeep and it seem's that sound clips can be misleading, so I decided to do a little experimenting,I ordered a "kolak" exhaustits a flowmaster 70 suv muffler 2.5" pipe a carsound cat(made by magnaflow) and a mandrel benttailpipe Ill let you know how it sounds, if its not loud enough I think I jump right into a 40 series and see how that sounds..

Drake00XJ said:
I listened to all of those sound clips. Personally, I liked the 40 series the best. It's not to loud but gives off a good clean rumble. Thanks for the link.

Yea def...sounds nice when first starting up. Is it loud when driving at highway speeds?

Nothing beats my $30 Dynomax with a hollowed out cat and some exhaust clamps :D

Sounds pretty damn good and I used the other $150 most people pay for install and piping and used $5 bills to pad my head rest. :laugh3:

fiinally got the exhaust on I went with a carsound cat, flowmaster 70 , 2.5 inch pipe sounds real good ,but a little quieter than I wanted , has a great tone nice idle charachteristics, and a neat part throttle tone all in all I'm very pleased.

Back