• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust? who,s heard what ? and how's it sound

how loud would u like it.. I know a fair amount of people like flowmaster super 40 i havent heard many if any bad reviews on the 40 i think it rumbles but not loud.... you could look into that, I personally havent heard one though.... I have a Borla and like it quite a bit its got a deep rumble not to loud tho... but it all depends what kindd of sound you are looking for

im running a high-flow cat and straight pipe on my 93.....everyone loves the sound of it. its a little loud, but not as loud as my chevelle with flows was. sounds alot like a minuature cummins engine.

I too am looking for a good muffler that give a good sound but is not very loud. I use my jeep for long road trips so I dont want something that will drive me crazy. I was thinking of getting a magnaflow.....any suggestions?

I'm running a high-flow cat with a straight pipe as well. I've driven it 2 hours down the road, and, it didn't bother me or my passengers, but, that could be because you can't hear the exhaust over the tires and the stereo. But, it's not too loud. And, i think it sounds good. And, so do my buddies. Hope you find something that works for you.

Tylor

Check out GoJeep's site - he's got links to soundclips, and a good writeup on what will give extra power without driving you round the bend on a long journey. IIRC, he ended up with a glass pack in front of his Flowmaster - deep but not maddening.

I'd be interested to know whether there are alternatives out there apart from the usual suspects (Flowmaster & Borla) which can be bought off the shelf. I'm personally leaning towards something deep and quiet, so the ricers don't hear me coming!

Wow said:
I have the Flowmaster 40, LOVE IT! I had someone convinced I put a V8 in my XJ. :)
Got a sound clip? I had Rusty's Flowmaster catback on my 85 2.5L and it sounded kind of hollow and buzzy. Are they very loud from idle-2500 on a 4.0?

offroadxj07 said:
how loud would u like it.. I know a fair amount of people like flowmaster super 40 i havent heard many if any bad reviews on the 40 i think it rumbles but not loud.... you could look into that, I personally havent heard one though.... I have a Borla and like it quite a bit its got a deep rumble not to loud tho... but it all depends what kindd of sound you are looking for

Anyone else heard a SUPER 40 on a 4.0L? How does it sound?

It sounds really good, a nice deep, powerful sound but a little louder than I care for. I went with the 50 series Deltaflow for this reason. It sounds good also, its just a little quieter. I have 2.5" pipe and a magnaflow highflow cat and I'm very happy with the sound but it is a little louder than i expected. I have to take it easy in parking garages to not draw attention to myself.

i had the flowmaster delta 50 series. it was too loud for my passengers. it resonates a lot inside the jeep. i put on a flowmaster 50suv. the 50suv is
about the same outside but resonates a lot less inside. jack

I've got a Flowmaster Super40 on an otherwise stock exhaust and it sounds killer. Low and deep and not loud(in my opinion).

I agree with the slacker. I got the same setup and it sounds great. Awsome at idle and is always lower and deeper than a ricer dispite what I herd befor buying it.
-Steve D.

im running 3'' 40 series with 3'' pipe from the cat back and its loud!! but i love it, setting off alrams in the parking lot is a regular thing with me,lol. i have a sound clip but im not sure how to get it online, if anyone can help pm me.thanks!

Sean

I listened to all of those sound clips. Personally, I liked the 40 series the best. It's not to loud but gives off a good clean rumble. Thanks for the link.

I've got the two-chamber Flowmaster with a high-flow cat and a Borla header. It sounds awesome and most people think I have a V8.

If I did it again, I would probably go with the three-chamber Flowmaster or the Borla (I haven't heard the Banks). They still give a nice throaty sound without being quite as loud as my two-chamber.

Back