• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine sometimes "losing" power

Dest said:
Did it do this all the time? What is the CEL?

It was random...CEL = Check Engine Light. It might be fine for a while and then when I stomped on the gas to get on the highway, it might chug a bit. Or after running fine on the highway and getting to a light/stop sign at the end of the exit ramp, it might stutter when getting started again. Usually when you were just cruising it was fine, but when you went to accelerate, because of the timing issue and adjusting the fuel mixture, that's when the problems occured.

When the timing isn't right or the computer doesn't know what it is, it can't adjust the air/fuel mixture correctly. Add in that I found out an O2 sensor needed to be replaced, you have the combination of two sensors that affect the timing/air/fuel mixture.

Hiya folks,

Being essentially poor, I continued to drive the jeep until something broke. Well nothing has really broke yet, except the top of my gas tank is leaking, which explains the fuel smell I had. The cat was also replaced under a recall. The 02 sensor was also bad and the other sensors are fine, but I still have my power loss problem.

I have figured out a temporary solution. When the problem starts occurring I'll turn the jeep off, turn the key to 1 position before the crank position three times, and then the problem is gone for a while at least.

Does this mean it is with some certainty the fuel pump?

Thanks for all the help folks, I've learned a lot from NAXJA.

Back