• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Mount shim/transfer case drop

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone has addressed the issue with using a transfer case drop that causes the engine mounts to tilt? I was considering using some kind of shim,like a leaf spring shim,to help match the angle that the case drop causes on the engine mounts.I am looking to maximizes the life of engine mounts due to being angled.I am talking about front to back angle FYI.

When I had my YJ a T/C drop was part of the lift kit due to the very short rear driveshaft (and my being too cheap to invest in an SYE at the time). It ran that way for many. many years and I never experienced any undue engine mount wear or failure.

I've not seen or heard of anyone shimming their mounts to account for the change in fore-aft pitch of their engine post-t/c drop. Which is not to say that someone hasn't done it. I just don't believe that it is that critical if rubber mounts are used.

In addition to the motor mounts, a transfer case drop also moved the transfer case shift linkage and exhaust hanger which would need to be addressed. Installing a SYE is better solution, IMHO.

A transfer case drop should be considered a temporary solution while you save for your SYE. Shimming the motor mounts would be more work than the results are worth.

Back