• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric A/C compressor??

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I have a '90xj... renix 4.0. yeah, I've done some things. One of those things being moving the alternator to where the A/C compressor used to be.now for the longest time, I didn't really give a whoop about having air conditioning because of where I lived. But then I joined the Army and now I'm in north carolina... it's hot here.

So anyway, I recall reading on here somewhere that there are electric A/C compressors somewhere... does anyone know where to find these things? I'd like to have A/C again without having to move my alternator back.

Electric vehicles run DC powered pumps but they are not useful for a 12-VDC system since they operate on high voltage DC. Battery vehicle voltages can go into the 300+ volt range.
A 12-volt model would need huge wires to supply the needed current, something your XJ's system could deliver for more than a few seconds, if at all.
http://www.revoltevc.com/sierra-06-0982y3.html

Roll down the windows and enjoy the summer's warmth.

To get the same CFM out of an independent, DC motor driven A/C, as you would with an OEM engine mounted compressor (Sanden), you would need a motor capable of approximately 4 to 5 HP. That baby would be large, and suck up battery/alternator output like you wouldn't believe. Your best bet is to find a way to relocate the OEM compressor to another location in the engine bay; however, It may be a lot easier to put the A/C compressor back where it was, and move the alternator to a different location. The alternator is smaller than the A/C compressor, and wires are easier to relocate than A/C hoses.

Techno, I've already moved my alt... that's the problem. I want a/c back.

I specifically remember reading about electric a/c compressors. I think most guys were using them for OBA systems.

Techno, I've already moved my alt... that's the problem. I want a/c back.

I specifically remember reading about electric a/c compressors. I think most guys were using them for OBA systems.

The link I posted show how to raise the alternator by using an alternator and AC compressor mounting bracket from a 2.5L 4 cylinder Jeep engine. Many on this forum have already done this and are happy with the results.

Huh! Alright, didn't catch that part... my quick glance looked like someone was fabbing them, and looked like it deleted the compressor also.

Back