• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ebrake doesn't seem to hold

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Culpris: D44 out of an older XJ. I adjusted the adjuster nut and it's not helping. I am able to lockup all of the tires on the pavement and the problem olnly arises when I'm trying to park it on an incline.

This makes me wonder whether I should not replace the spring hardware in the brake?

Are you facing downhill, or trying the set the brake against rolling downhill backwards? If the latter ... forget it, it ain't gonna happen.

Eagle said:
Are you facing downhill, or trying the set the brake against rolling downhill backwards? If the latter ... forget it, it ain't gonna happen.
I am talking about me rolling backwards in my slightly slanted driveway. OK, maybe I'm exagerating a bit, but it seems that during the past year something happened and it's not holding as well as it used to.

Kejtar said:
I am talking about me rolling backwards in my slightly slanted driveway. OK, maybe I'm exagerating a bit, but it seems that during the past year something happened and it's not holding as well as it used to.

I am having the same problem. I just had my drums turned today and adjusted the pads out till they put a slight drag on the drum. But that did not help either. Remi did you change you e brake cables when you did your lift? I didnt am I am told that is what I need to do.

I had this problem with my 95 - wouldn't hold even when all adjustments were made. A part of the problem was that the little brackets that hold the front end of the cable to the floor were flexing, and the metal behind them was cracking. I got a big boost in holding power when I bolted them down with reinforcing plates.

Matthew Currie said:
I had this problem with my 95 - wouldn't hold even when all adjustments were made. A part of the problem was that the little brackets that hold the front end of the cable to the floor were flexing, and the metal behind them was cracking. I got a big boost in holding power when I bolted them down with reinforcing plates.
I have a newer model and the brackets are sturdy, so that's not a problem. In regards to the length, it all looks fine so that shouldn't be a problem either.

All drum brakes in use on American (and probably foreign) vehicles since about the mid-1930s have been and are what's called a "servo-assisted" design. The configuration of the shoes, springs and attachments is such that when the brakes are applied while the vehicle is rolling forward, the geometry uses the friction of the shoes against the drum to wedge the shoes more tightly, camming them outward to increase the braking force with less foot pressure required. This is why the shoes have unequal length lining material on them, and why it's important to put the short shoe in the correct position.

The servo-assist is not effective in reverse. Parking brakes are always adjusted to hold the vehicle against forward motion, and if you adjust it just to the point where it holds on a slight downgrade when going forward, I'll guarantee that it won't hold when facing backward on the same slope.

This is inherent to the design of the system. It's not an XJ thing, it's not a Jeep thing, it's a drum brake thing.

Back