• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

e-fan won't come on an i just put in a new one PLEASE HELP!!!

ok well i am having the same issue but my relay is good. My xj is an 87 with the 4.0. I was wondering if it could be the sending unit but i cant seem to find that.

With the '87-90, the sensor in the radiator has to really get hot to trip - which can cause higher than usual temps. 210+ is common for RENIX because of it.

Relays are rarely the problem, it's usually the fan motor or signal to the relay that causes the problem. They are just switches for power - if they don't get a signal, they don't switch. The 87 to 90 sensors trip ON at temperature. 91 up send a variable signal to the computer, and about '96 up use the same sensor as the gauge for the computer.

A/C systems changed a lot too - so y'all remember that Make, Year, and Engine is really helpful to get clear answers to the problem, not confusion because "mine don't do that."

Well i did the alligator clip thing and it comes on. It wont come on by its self though. I get all the way in the red section of the gauge sometimes sitting at a stop light. I changed the relay and still nothing...

my 1994 XJ , 4.0l , np231, auto , e fan not working because it was melting the fuse due to a bad contact in the PDB that was causing the efan not to work, i eliminated the fuse and add a contact breaker anyway , have never failed again, hope this info could help you
regards
German

check your first fan you thought was bad with the alligator clips it might be good i dont think it will help you find your problem but might

Pull the sensor in the radiator.

Put the sensor in a pot of water on your stove.

Attach ohm meter to sensor.

Put thermometer in pot.

Turn on the burner that the pot sits upon.

Watch the pot until the ohm meter shows circuit completion.

Write down the temperature of the water.

Go to NAPA, have them find you a sensor that will come on at the temperature you desire, and that fits in the radiator.

On 97+s they did away with the gauge sensor at the back of the head and use the info from the coolant temp sensor(still in the t-stat housing, not radiator).

My bad, didn't catch the year in the User Name.

Now I'm not sure if changing the sensor is such a good idea, as that could effect other module inputs.

Dang, there goes my one chance at perfection--again! LOL!

well my efan does work when i did the alligator clip trick. It just wont come on when the jeep sits when it is idling at a stop sign or light

An 87 has the thermo sensor in the radiator, drivers side. Is it plugged in to the contacts on the wiring harness?

No sensor input, not power to the relay, no fan.

Check the sensor output when hot for voltage at the sensor and relay. Check the relay is getting power to switch to the fan.

Modern Jeeps are all about a voltmeter being your FIRST tool to use. The meter will have an instruction manual to use it, and vehicle troubleshooting does require it.

And yes, I didn't have much fun with it to begin with, but after a while, it makes sense. Just check it with the old water plumbing concept - a hot wire should have current just like a garden hose when it's turned on, and all current has to go back through a pipe to complete the circuit, just like a sink has to have a drain line. If it splashes out, it's a short, if the valve is off, it has no current at all.

Check the circuits, then you know what's up.

So on a renix, when you unplug the cts, or the thermo sensor, the e-fan doesn't automatically turn on like it does on the obd1s and 2s?

Back