• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-85, what do I need to do?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
One of the gas staions in town is offering E-85 which is 85% Ethanol and 15% Gasoline. It's almost a dollar cheaper than regular unleaded so I put 10 gallons in and it's fine so far.

What do I need to swap out so I'm not hurting my XJ with the continued use of the E-85? It should only be the non-stainless steel parts of my fuel system, right? I remember somebody telling me that Ethanol will lead to rust and corrosion because it's more water based than regular gas.

What year/motor and, any difference in performance? (I would think better?)

I know the manual says a definate no.

Maybe problems with ruber o rings?

summitlt said:
What year/motor and, any difference in performance? (I would think better?)

I know the manual says a definate no.

Maybe problems with ruber o rings?
Probably should of added that stuff.

1990 Cherokee, RE 4.0 5spd. I've noticed a little gain in performance but this is on a 50/50 mix of E-85 an 87 test

Had a friend put in e85 on his 05 4.7L Ram. There was some erroneous data regarding what engines could use it. After about a week, he got an engine light and dealer dropped the tank and cleaned it out. I wouldn't use it if your vehicle isn't specifically allowed to. Unless somehow an older engine is more forgiving. I don't know what caused the issue on his, I'll ask him tomorrow. IMHO.

someone in town here(rapid city, sd) ran it in their 89 YJ and it would not run, period. Was in the paper as alot of people were trying it out.

Weasel said:
someone in town here(rapid city, sd) ran it in their 89 YJ and it would not run, period. Was in the paper as alot of people were trying it out.
I'm guessing it was probably a carb'd 258. From what I hear Ethanol eats carbs alive

Back