• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlamp bezel - a plea for help...

br1anstorm

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ 4.0 litre Sport..... I've owned it since new, but am finding it increasingly difficult to keep it going as old age (the Jeep, as well as me!) takes its toll.

The additional problem is that it's a LHD US-spec vehicle, and I'm in the UK. With the help of the NAXJA forum I've been able to troubleshoot and repair. But parts are getting harder to find - even scrapyards rarely have XJs these days.

This is a plea - posted here because it seems I don't have access to the "Parts Wanted" forum (maybe I haven't posted enough on to the forum?). I hope the moderators will allow this request....

Anyway, here's the situation. I need a replacement Left-side Headlamp Bezel - the black plastic frame that fits round the headlight assembly. The original part no is 5505 4931 (which may also be the Crown p/n). It's available from suppliers like Rock Auto at less than $10. But here's the killer: shipping from the US to the UK is quoted at anywhere between $30 and $50 with couriers like FedEx or UPS. And then import duty and taxes are charged on the total cost inc shipping. So an order for this little piece of plastic could cost up to $75! Crazy.

Hence this plea. Is there any helpful forum member in the US willing to source this bezel (even from a U-pull breakers yard..) and send it to me by post (I believe USPS provides purpose designed postage-boxes...)? I can pay via PayPal as I assume that's easiest.

If anyone is willing to help, please PM me.. Thanks in advance!

I ordered mine off Amazon for 10 bucks. Is that an option for you?

Thanks .... I've just had a look. It might just be an option, though it will cost more than 10 bucks!

Amazon.com (the US site) quotes the price for one bezel at USD 19.88, plus USD 6.49 shipping and USD 5.28 VAT (UK tax). Total USD 31.65, or GB Pounds 24.88.

Amazon.co.uk (the UK site) lists it at GB pounds 25.80, delivered - evidently despatched from their US 'warehouse'.

Not cheap, but a better deal than Rock Auto!

A $10 parts won't attract any duty & you probably not get stung for VAT - but shipping is the killer (I've been quoted $99.99 for a bulb). In fairness to the the companies mention, US Mail's not cheap (I think it cost me about $15 to send a T-shirt to Europe). However, I must have the bezel you want somewhere (off a '96 - but don't think they changed at all) I'll try to find time for a rummage over the weekend, before I leave for Scotland on Sunday.

A $10 parts won't attract any duty & you probably not get stung for VAT - but shipping is the killer (I've been quoted $99.99 for a bulb). In fairness to the the companies mention, US Mail's not cheap (I think it cost me about $15 to send a T-shirt to Europe). However, I must have the bezel you want somewhere (off a '96 - but don't think they changed at all) I'll try to find time for a rummage over the weekend, before I leave for Scotland on Sunday.

That's the most promising and joyful message I've had all week. Better even than the wife shouting "Supper's ready" when I'm out in the garage!

I am almost certain a '96 bezel will fit my '93 Jeep. I think the "facelift" XJ arrived in '97. That later version had more rounded corners, and doesn't have the angular orange corner piece for the indicator/repeater, but a flat orange panel on the side.

My forum profile (and my post) says I'm in UK. What it doesn't specify is that I am in Scotland (near Inverness, in the Highlands). If the rummage is successful, I'm happy to pay for item plus postage ...or if you are passing nearby, drop in for a wee dram!

Back