• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Key Retrieval

CBJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Wagoneer- The seller placed the only door key on the dash and then watched it slide down and drop into the defroster vent. Is there any reasonable method of gaining access to the bottom of the vent and fishing it out? It looks like the entire dash would need to come out.

I found a locksmith that claims that they can decode and cut a new key for $135.00. I would guess that this is likely going to be my best bet?

Or you can just buy a new lock cylinder for about $20 that will come with 2 keys. You'll need to pull the steering wheel with tools your can "rent" for free at your local autoparts store.

Unless there is a steel ring on that key a magnet is not likely to be of much use.

Or you can just buy a new lock cylinder for about $20 that will come with 2 keys. You'll need to pull the steering wheel with tools your can "rent" for free at your local autoparts store.
1990 uses the GM style square ignition and round door keys. You can buy door lock cylinders for cheap. You cannot source the rear hatch cylinder. These would have to come from a donor vehicle.

1990 uses the GM style square ignition and round door keys. You can buy door lock cylinders for cheap. You cannot source the rear hatch cylinder. These would have to come from a donor vehicle.

Oops. sorry. Somehow I "read" ignition key. You're right.

A heater core and evap replacement may be in your immediate future.

Back