• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't call the new Jeep pickup a pickup

Exactly what I was gonna say... they made up to j4000 series, right?

I nearly bought a set of j20 axles for my 98 xj, but decided not to. Picked up a ford hp44, a ford hp60 to maybe build in the future, and keeping my eyes out for a d60-1su or d70-1su to go with the hp60 while running the 8.8 I got.

I think a j10 or j20 with a 4bt, hp60, and 14bolt swapped in would be pretty awesome as a DD.

Yup, went up to 4000.

I've been thinkin a J-3000 (no specific reason over a J-10, etc., just partial to em, first car and all) with a boxed frame, 5.9 Cummins, HP60/14b, on 35s would be one helluva DD or hunting truck.

Ain't much that looks meaner than a jacked up J-truck
29172530008_large.jpg

Yep. My friend carmelo (cmelo on here) wheels a lifted j10 honcho on j20 axles and (iirc) 35" TSLs.

I have heard that some 14b/chevy 60 sets will bolt right into a j-truck because the stock perch widths are so close to matching, but don't know how true that is. It tempts me badly since chevy/gmc heavy vehicles are much more common in the yards around here than fords are, at least the ones I go to.

It tempts me badly since chevy/gmc heavy vehicles are much more common in the yards around here than fords are, at least the ones I go to.

Yup its like that everywhere... cause Fords are better and actually stay on the road :D Only two places I'll drive a GM: the junkyard, and the dealership to trade it in.

Not sure on the bolting in part though.
I've gotten real close to my screen looking at cmelo's avatar pic lol... got any pics of it?

Yup its like that everywhere... cause Fords are better and actually stay on the road :D Only two places I'll drive a GM: the junkyard, and the dealership to trade it in.

Not sure on the bolting in part though.
I've gotten real close to my screen looking at cmelo's avatar pic lol... got any pics of it?

was (the original) kaiser a jeep product or a conglomerate of jeep (AMC) & dodge? (or who ever?) i know that the new kaiser truck is (practicaly) all dodge (under the skin anyhow).
actualy the reason you cant find fords in the jy is because they cant make it there! lol (unless they are on the back of a wrecker, then go straight to the crusher)

jk. kind of. i'm not a ford person.
rather have a chevy or dodge out of the "big 3".

Last edited:
Yup, went up to 4000.

The highest they go up to is the J4800 IIRC which is rare. Either way Jeep never made anything more heavy duty than a 3/4ton and their naming conventions are weird till they went to "JX0".

Yep. My friend carmelo (cmelo on here) wheels a lifted j10 honcho on j20 axles and (iirc) 35" TSLs.

I have heard that some 14b/chevy 60 sets will bolt right into a j-truck because the stock perch widths are so close to matching, but don't know how true that is. It tempts me badly since chevy/gmc heavy vehicles are much more common in the yards around here than fords are, at least the ones I go to.

I 14bolt and chevy/ford/dodge 60 will bolt into a wagoneer with no mods. The same 60s can bolt to a J truck but to fit a 14 bolt the rear springs must be inboarded.

58426_543193918469_59801615_31884429_239907_n.jpg

So for 50K you get the engine of your choice huh? Hmm.... I am drooling at the thought of a Hemi option. Jeep needs a vehicle to fall in line with the likes of the SRT-10 and the Ford Raptor. I know they are more than capable of doing it and I am sure they would sell like hotcakes.

Just need some johnsons!

My take on trucks is simple. If it can't hold a 4x8 sheet of drywall than IDGAF.

I have gotten 12 sheets of 3/4 ply into my shortbed MJ. Granted, it hung 2 feet past the tailgate, I had to strap it down, and it was nearly on the bumpstops... but it made it :roflmao:

Drywall is going to be tougher, since it isn't as strong and can't lay flat. Might have to rent a truck or get the 5ton fixed up to do that trip.

Either way Jeep never made anything more heavy duty than a 3/4ton and their naming conventions are weird till they went to "JX0".

Technically there was a 1 ton option for the MJ. But I wouldn't really consider it a 3/4 ton truck, just that AMC did rate it with heavier leaf springs and a D44 at 2200 Lbs of payload.

The honcho is sweet.

My MJ has probably carried more than most fullsize pickups around here, more frequently... but that doesn't make it a fullsize :(

I've carried half a ton with it a couple times in the last few months (plywood) and 3/4 ton to Pennsylvania and back twice (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, axleshafts, and all tools to install all of it.)

The brakes were fairly decent, would have been fine if they'd been fully bled. It accelerated fine and top speed wasn't limited, the rear springs were extremely overloaded though. I probably hastened the death of the d35 since the bearings are getting to be truly horrible, but the 29spl 8.25 is sitting in the wings just waiting to go in.

My MJ has probably carried more than most fullsize pickups around here, more frequently... but that doesn't make it a fullsize :(

I've carried half a ton with it a couple times in the last few months (plywood) and 3/4 ton to Pennsylvania and back twice (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, axleshafts, and all tools to install all of it.)

The brakes were fairly decent, would have been fine if they'd been fully bled. It accelerated fine and top speed wasn't limited, the rear springs were extremely overloaded though. I probably hastened the death of the d35 since the bearings are getting to be truly horrible, but the 29spl 8.25 is sitting in the wings just waiting to go in.

Yeah, back when I HAD a bed the Mj saw some pretty rediculous loads on the way to go wheeling.
4 34x9.5 swampers/rims
all the camping gear
tools
spare parts
cap

I'd say it was not big deal to toss 1500 lbs of crap in the bed and go wheeling.

It's a shame you're not closer to me Ken, I'd make you a deal on this 8.8/late model D30 that's in my truck.

If I make it to Winterfest (doubtful :() I might well buy them off you. I certainly won't be wheeling, can't afford to drive the M54A2 out that far (1200 bucks in diesel) and can't afford to get stuck there with a broken rig either. I'd probably end up rolling up hours late in my ratty MJ like I did at NACFest :roflmao:

The d30 that's in the MJ right now is decent, aside from blown seals and bad balljoints on the driver side. Got it for 60 bucks from a friend via an intermediate sale, bent the inner Cs back to proper shape, threw new unit bearings on it and new passenger side balljoints and I've been rocking it since. No transfer case though, it's only there already because the 2wd beam was so badly rusted I was afraid the mounts were going to fall off.

The 8.25 I got is 29 spline, sadly open, already has SOA perches welded onto it (since I bought it off MrSimon), just finished tossing ZJ disc brakes on it, and I'm building a good beefy cover for it out of 3/8" and 1/4" plate as soon as I get the spare-parts axle I'm using as a welding jig. It should be pretty decent.

My take on trucks is simple. If it can't hold a 4x8 sheet of drywall than IDGAF.
That's how my dad was with his station wagons, if a 4x8 would not fit flat he didn't want it, he had fords and Plymouths in the 60's and 70's.

So for 50K you get the engine of your choice huh? Hmm.... I am drooling at the thought of a Hemi option. Jeep needs a vehicle to fall in line with the likes of the SRT-10 and the Ford Raptor. I know they are more than capable of doing it and I am sure they would sell like hotcakes.

Just need some johnsons!

Whoa! i was thinking the same thing like a week ago. I pictured it in a JK.

Back