• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't call the new Jeep pickup a pickup

I don't know why they didn't think this one through, really. They had a perfectly fine well-selling SUV in the Cherokee once upon a time, why didn't they just chop the back off and make it into a pickup truck?

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Nothing appeals to me yet and I'm hitting 60 this year, I'm quite happy with the TJ and the XJ [though I would like working air in the XJ]. Got no problem dropping the top and or yanking the doors on the TJ's, don't mind the sun, don't mind the noise, don't want $5,000 of integrated electronics that will cost a fortune to fix two years after the warranty runs out. Be nice if jeep just came out with $15K wrangler again, I might not even bitch to much if it has a mini-van motor...

I'm with ya! There is easily $15,000 of extra crap on most vehicles these days. I run mine for ten years at a minimum. 1 XJ is 13 and the other 18 years old, the Dakota is 11. I have no love for electronics in my cars. I do not need back up sensors or a GPS, heck I do not even need auto locks or windows. Give me a sub $20,000 simple capable truck and I'll buy one today. Be lucky to find something under $30,000 with an extra 500 lbs of plastic and electronics.

The reasoning behind this, according to Marchionne, is that the Ram brand is largely a North American name that has not been, in his word, internationalized.
So what he is saying is that there will be a badass pickup built, it just wont be offered in the US

I don't know why they didn't think this one through, really. They had a perfectly fine well-selling SUV in the Cherokee once upon a time, why didn't they just chop the back off and make it into a pickup truck?

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Its a unibody, it'd fold like a taco.

The reasoning behind this, according to Marchionne, is that the Ram brand is largely a North American name that has not been, in his word, internationalized.

So what he is saying is that there will be a badass pickup built, it just wont be offered in the US

No... What he's saying is that the Ram isn't sold in any significant numbers outside of North America.

Marchionne's already said that he wants to make Jeep a truly global brand, and a Jeep pickup would likely be an easier sell in a lot of markets than a Ram truck would be. Can't see why they wouldn't sell it here, especially given that this is the market that would basically underwrite the costs of getting it to the export markets.

exactly.
only way it could be done is IF ...
A:they put a real frame under it (hence changing it's body stance/height) or
B: keeping it a unibody with a stronger sub-frame from what is used on it initialy.
I'm hoping you missed my sarcasm... ;)

exactly.
B: keeping it a unibody with a stronger sub-frame from what is used on it initialy.

I laughed so hard at this post I nearly wee'd myself.

I guess my junk is doomed to fold like a taco, lacking all that extra triangulation provided by the glass in the back.

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Its a unibody, it'd fold like a taco.

exactly.

Uhhhh..... Have you ever heard of a Comanche, Cracked?

Thats why everyone is being sarcastic man, because jeep has already made a unibody truck before.... :doh:

CherBear, yes i have, but thought that it was a real frame under it. being a "real" pick-up body, never had the chance to get under one to inspect it.
unlike the XJ i have been under enough times fixing things either in the driveway , in a parking lot, or on the side of the road.
i knew that jeep had made a pick-up (comanche), but if memory serves it didn't last long in the production area. 10 years or something close to that wasn't it?

*edit:from the early-ish 70's to the mid/late 80's IIRC :dunno:

Last edited:
Jeep made a real pickup(sort of jeep, anyway), the Kaiser-715.
The Comanche mini-truck was made from '86-'92. Very similar to a 4-door Cherokee forward of the B-pillar. The cab and uniframe are one piece. Uni-frame is different under the cab from the firewall back, although the floor pan is the same. The roof line is higher on the Comanche then the Cherokee, although the door openings/drip rails are in the same location 'Has revised lower control arm mounts and bracing the XJ doesn't have. From the cab closeout back it has a pretty conventional frame. It's built up out of sheet metal instead of hydro-formed plate or tube. The bed bolts down similar to any other PU.
Would have lasted longer except Chrysler bought AMC, then decided that anyone who needed a mini-pickup could just buy a Dakota.
Quick primer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Comanche

Jeep made a real pickup(sort of jeep, anyway), the Kaiser-715.

Fawk, am I the only one that knows what a J-10 is? J-20? J-3000 anybody?
My first set of wheels was a 1967 J-3000 Gladiator... kinda miss it, actually been thinking about picking one up to restore.

Beat me to it. I realized I forgot the J-10. came back to edit it and you already caught me,...

Damn,... :D

Fawk, am I the only one that knows what a J-10 is? J-20? J-3000 anybody?
My first set of wheels was a 1967 J-3000 Gladiator... kinda miss it, actually been thinking about picking one up to restore.

Exactly what I was gonna say... they made up to j4000 series, right?

I nearly bought a set of j20 axles for my 98 xj, but decided not to. Picked up a ford hp44, a ford hp60 to maybe build in the future, and keeping my eyes out for a d60-1su or d70-1su to go with the hp60 while running the 8.8 I got.

I think a j10 or j20 with a 4bt, hp60, and 14bolt swapped in would be pretty awesome as a DD.

At least China came to its senses before putting this into production:

ZIpyG.jpg

Short writeup here. MJ owners will probably love the last line of it, too :D

Back