• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't assume it's surface rust....

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to pass along some info on something I found last night while prepping my '91 XJ for the MD state inspection.

The trailer wiring harness was hanging down from underneath the rear bumper. At some point the previous owner had somehow smashed up the bracket fon the OEM hitch that holds the 7-pin wiring harness. He then spliced on a standard 4 pin harness. No big deal, I'll just cut the damage bracket off and secure the harness up and out of the way.

I got the bracket cut off with relative ease. Once it was out of the way, I noticed a hole in the main tube of the hitch about the size of a pencil erase. It was almost perfectly round so I figured it was there for a reason. But, since I was curious, I took a screw driver and started tapping around on the hitch. Something didn't sound right so I then gave that main tube a good whack with a hammer. Low and behold, I broke an enourmous hole in the hitch!!!! :wow:

So, in a matter of minutes, I had gone from cutting a bracket off of a hitch with some surface rust to having to remove and replace the entire hitch. I guess it's a good thing I found this now instead of when towing my boat or getting pulled out of the mud.......

Check those rusty hitches guys. :)

Back