• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does front ring and pinion spin when in 2wd?

wickedwenzel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a 1999 XJ with a Dana 30 HP front end. How does the 4wd work on these? There are no locking hubs, so does the front ring / pinion and driveshaft always spin whether your in 2wd or 4wd? Sorry if it's a lame question, but I couldn't find any info on it by searching.

Yup. It's the nature of the beast. Both front axle shafts spin, thus, the side gears will drive the carrier, which spins the driveshaft.

Front end drive train drag has been reduced drastically from the days of lockouts. To the point that no improvement in MPG is to be had by the use of lockout. But some would disagree with this. But if your thinkng of adding them the gain with lockouts is small and the cost of adding lockouts would never be recovered. Not by my numbers anyway.

Actually. I don't care too much about gas millage, I'm more concerned with offroad. I'm putting a locker up front (lock rite) and changing the gears (4.56) and was just curious on how well the locker would act on the street since it's always going to be working whether I'm in 4wd or 2wd.

I also wanted to know because I'm setting up the gear pattern and if it's always going to spinning than I guess it's more important that I get it right on than in a diff that only spins when in 4wd. right?

I have run a lockrite up front for 12 years. In 2wd you never know it is there.

the way a locker is designed is under torque applied through the pinion it locks. therefore assuming you are in 2wd your driveshaft is not being spun via the engine therefore, leaving your locker unlocked and you not knowing it is even there!

hope that clears things up!

you would only have a problem with a spool up front on the road. auto/selectable lockers are no problem up front in 2wd

I also wanted to know because I'm setting up the gear pattern and if it's always going to spinning than I guess it's more important that I get it right on than in a diff that only spins when in 4wd. right?
Not really because its not under any load when in 2WD,just make sure you either replace all the bearings or make sure they in great shape!

Back