• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DLP or LCD??

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to buy a new TV so I have been looking though adds and visiting show rooms. And I have narrowed it down to DLP or LCD. Decause the DLP is cheaper I would be able to get a larger size. I am thinking 32"LCD or 40"+DLP... So really DLP is fairly new on the market, my uncle is the only person I know thats has one. It looks nice and he has the HDTV on it and it looks great. But I just wanted to get some extra epinions before I make my choice. So what would you get DLP or LCD???

Chris

DLP has replaceable bulbs, Sams club carries a nice RCA 50", DLP comes with a built in HDTV tuner which is a big plus. The bulbs last about the same length of time as any projection TV but are user replacable [no service call $$$].
As for LCD's, double the price of a projection tv for the same size. Very sexy though with wall mounting and such. I have no idea how long they last but if I bought one I would get the longest warranty I could possibly get because when they go they are GONE, at least thats been my experience on the computer side of LCD displays for desktop and laptops. For sure I would also kick out the additonal $200 for a really good 2200va APC UPS just to power the LCD or plasma TV, actually I would do that for a DLP too.

I'm working the wife around to a 50", I know I won't have the beans for a lcd or plasma unless they take one heck of a dramatic price drop in the next 4 months. Unfortunately it's not one of those things you can kind of 'slip in' like a new surround sound A/V box or a new DVD player burner, moving a normal 36" JVC out and a 50+ inch display in will not go unnoticed... :rattle:

I'd go DLP.
I'd expect the inverter in an LCD televison to take a beating. I imagine that you're driving at least 8 backlights in an LCD of that size. WHen the inverter goes out then you wont be able to see what's on the screen. I know that the average inverter for a notebook screen that's 14" big is about $150. So imagine how much one for a 40"+ TV is going to be.

I just got the 42" Sony projection LCD HDTV. Great picture. Better than the DLPs I looked at. Plus it was a few hundred cheaper than the DLPs of the same size.

Very happy with it!

hinkley

Direct view LCDs and projector units are completely different.
DLP is a neat Technology and depending on the unit, provides a HQ picture.
DILA and LCOS tech should not be ignored either.

The big failure items will always be those which draw the most current. Ballasts and inverters are a big item, as are the bulbs for the projector units. The florecent bulbs for the direct view LCDs have a much lower failure rate. Projector bulbs are still hovering around $2-400 retail depening on the brand.

I would not buy a projection set if I was a smoker. Smoke gets everywhere and fogs over the optics reducing the brightness and clarity.

LCD screens are brighter and have better contrast for high def and video games. The reason DLP is cheaper is because it is a projection, not a direct image. You will always lose some contrast when projecting. Which is another idea. They make high def projectors now, you could have a 70 inch tv or a 30 inch. Make it the size you want. Wont be as bright or clear as a LCD or DLP, but it will be pretty darn close.

You might want to check on the problems they are having with the new tv types.... LCD's are havin screen burn in issues and the plasmas are having gasket issues......

I take some exception to the last two posts. Clearly there are some missconceptions there.

LCD comes in direct view AND projection AND projector.
DLP comes in projection AND projector.

You have to compare apples to apples, not apples and oranges.

Plasma units, being Phosphor based, have burn in problems.
Plasma units have problems at high elevation due to the altitude.
I have not heard of any gasket failures.

Projector and Projection LCD units have problems with the filters fading or wearing erraticly, this is not a latent image "burn in" but a problem with UV and heat from the bulb that shows up over time.

I have not observed in all my years working with direct view LCDs any of them having a latent image burn in problem.

Single chip DLP units simply will not burn in as they are mirror arrays using a color wheel.
Multi chip DLP units will have the same filter problems as projector LCD units.

All in all.
Buy what you think looks good and fits your needs. This is all newer technology and does not have the 40+ year track record of CRT based color televisions.

Personally, it's all too expensive for me. I'd rather put the money in the Jeep instead of the living room ;)

Zuki-Ron said:
I take some exception to the last two posts. Clearly there are some missconceptions there.

LCD comes in direct view AND projection AND projector.
DLP comes in projection AND projector.

You have to compare apples to apples, not apples and oranges.
True, my mistake. Yes they LCD's do come in projection form. But the most common is direct picture. This would be the best way to go IMO out of these options. It will be the most clear and bright. Not to say that DLP wont be a great tv, just depends on how bad you want that little more of quality. It would be like debating on rusty's and RE. Both work great and serve thier purpose well, but one has a little better quality and such.

Back