• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY tube doors

Ohhhhh that poor Ranger! It got Dropped and Rolled over.......double whammy!

Nice job on the doors man. Looks good. Makes more sense for you to make them look all purdy with the canvas seeing as you see alot nicer weather than any of us up here in the Midwest. What i did discover is that the old S10 Blazers with the rear Tire carrier, the frame for the carrier already has a latch with a handle. Just need to move it to the end and fab up some hinges and taadaa. I'll post up when i get mine done as well.

I wanna make some for mine but i will probably only get to use them a couple times a year. Pool noodles with zip ties or duct tape will act as a cushion on mine.

What lift/tire combo you got on that thing?

philagony94xj said:
What i did discover is that the old S10 Blazers with the rear Tire carrier, the frame for the carrier already has a latch with a handle.
I was going to do that but couldnt find any Blazers in the local JY with tire carriers. I searched for 3 months!

philagony94xj said:
what lift/tire combo you got on that thing?

10"f / 8"r with 37" XTerrains

I personally like the DIY, but for anyone who does not, I saw some tube doors on ebay the other day that were only $150 shipped for a pair....and they had both front and rear for the 4 door models.

whitneyj said:
is there a reason nobody uses square stock to keep to boxy thing of the xj?

Would you pay $285 for this?
tafxj.jpg

flyingphil said:
Dude, that looks like it just came off a fence in the suburbs... No offence.

Philly :canada:

Seriously that door is a mass produced set thats sold for $250 and it still uses a glorified gate latch to close it. And its hideous to boot!

wow. . . that's. . . huh. Maybe if he didn't use 5"x5" square stock and something like 1 1/4-1 1/2". . . $250 is pretty hefty too

ya Im not a big fan of those. And I couldnt see spending $250+ for 30-40 bucks worth a material and the other 200+ for someone to weld them together. I just dont have a good tube bender and thats the problem I ran into. When I found the jeeptubes website I was happy as hell. Now I need a set of rear doors cause it looks odd with tube in the front and the rears still on.

Yeah the squares are an eyesore. And people actually buy them @250/set! I'd shoot myself if those were on mine.

I have a total of 68 cents into mine. I didnt have a bender, so at one point i cut a bit out and bent and welded. I may look like i build it out of free scrap, (i did) but that square tube looks like ass! Not actualy "tube doors", technicly pipe doors, sch 40. The hinge and top peices are about 1 7/8'', and the bottom and latch bar are about 1 5/8''

Still need to work out a mirror, i have one for when i am doorless, but It goes into the hinge pin hole so it doesent work with the tube doors.

Ya I need to work out the mirror issue myself. I got a freindly suggestion yesterday from a Fl state trooper about not having it. I want something that I can clamp on the tube so I can take it off for trails.

Okay, it's been nagging me for years, and I'm finally going to ask:

What's the point?

Are tube doors just to look cool? I certainly admit a decent set do look tough, and there's nothing wrong with that, per se.

Or do they make you feel safer, something between you and the street whizzing by? Although I doubt, if it came down to it, they'd really do much good.

Or do they satisfy some legal requirement that Ohio doesn't have?

Not ragging on anyone, just asking:

Why?

Robert

I've been meaning to make a set or weld in some door bars so when I lay it over rocks can't break my good hip, and seeing how my jeep is fairly tall and I have a hard time hopping in without climbing on the tire (42s) I'm probably gonna need something that is hinged.

The ONE problem i would have if i had them on mine is since i live and work in a heavily populated area is that when the tube doors are on, you cant leave ANYTHING in the vehicle that you dont want stolen! Free access to whatever is in the truck. My 0.02

Other than that, really just for looks and staying cool in the summer.

Ramsey said:
I've been meaning to make a set or weld in some door bars so when I lay it over rocks can't break my good hip...

But do you really think the 1/4" bolts (and the hinges they're in) will stand up to that?

:dunno:

Robert

No, which is why I haven't just used tube doors, gotta come up with something stronger.

philagony94xj said:
The ONE problem i would have if i had them on mine is since i live and work in a heavily populated area is that when the tube doors are on, you cant leave ANYTHING in the vehicle that you dont want stolen! Free access to whatever is in the truck. My 0.02

Other than that, really just for looks and staying cool in the summer.

No, I understand running doorless, I do it 9 months of the year.

I just don't get adding the tube door back in...

Robert

Back