• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor keeps failing

cherokeefan_1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 cherokee with the 4.0 and the distributors are only lasting about 10k miles lately. The bushings keep getting slop and eventually my engine dies as it eats the cap/rotor. This is the third distributor to do this. They are junkyard parts but shouldn't they last a little longer. They are tight when I install them. Anybody have any clue whats going on? Any clue how to solve this problem? Could the camshaft be walking back and forth putting a side load on the shaft? This is getting really old as it always leaves me stranded and have to call my buddy for a tow. Thanks in advance for any info on this issue.

Yes, the cam could be walking. There is a pin with a spring in the front of the cam which rides against the front cover. Perhaps the spring is broken? How's the gear look on the cam? If it's badly worn, every dizzy installed afterwards will wear out it's gear rather quickly.

The gears look fine its the bushings in the distributor that keep failing/wearing out that allow the shaft to wobble and chew up the cap/rotor and eventually kills the engine. The last one I replaced was tight and now its got about 1/4-3/8" of side to side slop.

Check to make sure the distributor bushings are getting lubricated.

Back