• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dent Removal

My father collects antique cars so I've had the rare opportunity to work on vehicles from the 1920's to present. In some cases this has included some pretty major body work. Hail damage is not something I have dealt with much. Right now I will probably use he hood to experiment on and see what I can do. My thought is this is the most easily replaced damaged panel. Then I'll tackle the roof later. The damage isn't huge dents just a lot of quarter to fifty cent sized dings. Most of these are not overly deep, but a few of the larger stones made it past the tree I was parked next too and did their thing to my rig. The research I have done on the net is promising......just looks like a slow and tedious process.

We were on a Mission Trip with the youth group from our church. I was really surprised to see the conditions of Lodge Grass, parts of it look like a third world country. The people there were very welcoming and treated us very good.

I would have loved to be on a vacation/road trip with my jeep. I would have definitely looked you up for a cold one. I didn't even get to take my fishing pole. :(

Speaking of fishing, some friends and I will be taking our annual trek to the Miracle Mile in July, I'll keep you posted in case you'd want to meet up.

If you think Lodge Grass is bad you should go over to the Northern Cheyenne Res. At one time and maybe still, Lamedeer had the notoriety of being the most impoverished Native American community in the US. Its still extremely bad there.

Too bad the Bighorn is great fishing and the Little Bighorn through the res is hardly fished.

Keep me posted on your Mile trip. If I am not on any fires then, I'll take a day trip down and catch all of you. Its only about three hours from here.

Last edited:
bahahaha dont worry ian, i feel the same way towards auto techs in my field....

on a serious note, my new (to me) pickup got beat to hell this afternoon by golfball sized hail. the whole thing, :(

Hey Seth, do you have any hookups on aftermarket steel cowl hoods?

Sorry to hear that Flores....I feel your pain.

Does anyone still make a decent low cowl hood fro the XJ? I know Refexxion used too but they quit.

Hey Seth, do you have any hookups on aftermarket steel cowl hoods?

Unfortunately i dont have any hookups anymore on body parts, but you should try Certifit up here in denver. I couldnt tell you if they have cowl hoods or not, but i just bout a cj7 hood from them a couple weeks ago for just over a hundred bucks.

Unfortunately i dont have any hookups anymore on body parts, but you should try Certifit up here in denver. I couldnt tell you if they have cowl hoods or not, but i just bout a cj7 hood from them a couple weeks ago for just over a hundred bucks.

Thanks I will check them out.

so they did their thing
$2k for repairs
of that $675 is to PDR the hood
thats enough to buy a cowl induction hood and have it painted lol

Friggity frack....that sucks man. :(

So you wanna shoot a hood pal?

Sure. As long as it's not water-based paint. I just sold my Sata. boooooo

PM me what you need.

Well forget PDR. I just had the PDR folks look at the damage, and they cannot help me out on this one. F'ing hail anyway!

Well forget PDR. I just had the PDR folks look at the damage, and they cannot help me out on this one. F'ing hail anyway!

Blah....I kind of figured that. :(

If you can find a decent roof panel from a donor XJ, replacing it would be a pretty easy swap. Gotta love flat sheet metal. lol

buy me a butane torch and i ll do the metal work on the roof. and mud if you want to. easy for me as i am expert in these "Black Arts"

Please God no.....lol :twak:

pffft! i do any hail that will come up with a butane torch,and i am good at it. usually dont even burn the paint to raise the dent. i know my stuff homey.... dont doubt it for a minute.
there are many techniques depending on the dent and what it will or wont do for you.
i am a Jedi with a butane torch. most smaller dents i can raise with no bondo or glaze and level it with the OEM e coat and topcoats. doing it this way since 96. i never grind a roof ever. work it, block it, prime it,block it and paint it. it will get 97% of the hail dents and side dings out.
become one with the force bro

dont be hating

Last edited:
Okay

Windshield gets replaced tomorrow morning. Already have a hood and the cowl panel. Matching my 15 year old pint might be fun.....may just do a camo job on it. I will drop the headliner this winter and dig out the body tools. I can probably work most of the dents out slowly. I'll just buy a roof rack to get everyone's eyes off whatever remains. I guess the silver lining is now I won't whine when I really put a dent in the old girl.

Back