• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dent Removal

Gonepostal

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever tried paintless dent removal. You're getting roasted and we got hammered by baseball size hail here. I guess you could roast hotdogs and I could supply ice for the beer.....LOL.

We got hit five minutes before I was due to leave work for the day. Went a half mile from the hospital and there was no hail.....just my luck. At any rate my XJ got beat bad and the windshield is toast. I was wondering if anyone had ever had any experience with one of the paintless dent removal companies?

pdr is useful . if the dent is too far in when they bend it out the paint will crack and peel. starts out as a small crows foot and goes to hades from there.
the repairs will be a combo of PDR and replacing the bolt on panels,and conventional repair of the stuff too bad for PDR.

pdr is useful . if the dent is too far in when they bend it out the paint will crack and peel. starts out as a small crows foot and goes to hades from there.
the repairs will be a combo of PDR and replacing the bolt on panels,and conventional repair of the stuff too bad for PDR.

For an XJ it's probably more cost effective to just replace the bolt on panels. Quality PDR isn't cheap. Especially when you're dealing with large roof area with zero access unless you pull the headliner out.

Do the math and see if replacing the panels + paint would be cheaper with or without insurance (depending on your deductible). If you replace and prep the panels, I can spray it for you in my garage/shop if you provide the paint.

Jim

sorry to hear it, GP... my Mom was at the hospital in Sheridan too, and her Honda insight is apparently totalled. sucks.

sorry to hear it, GP... my Mom was at the hospital in Sheridan too, and her Honda insight is apparently totalled. sucks.

Spent the weekend on the mountain at our cabin. Sorry to hear about your mom. Is she still here in the hospital? If so does she need anything? That end of town got hit hard. I haven't what the total damage amount is yet but I am sure there are some insurance companies having a bad day.

For an XJ it's probably more cost effective to just replace the bolt on panels. Quality PDR isn't cheap. Especially when you're dealing with large roof area with zero access unless you pull the headliner out.

Do the math and see if replacing the panels + paint would be cheaper with or without insurance (depending on your deductible). If you replace and prep the panels, I can spray it for you in my garage/shop if you provide the paint.

Jim

Thanks for the offer Jim I am looking at options right now. I am already planning on replacing the hood and cowl panels. The roof is going to suck either way. I went from a nice straight rig to a golf ball in minutes....LOL.

Sorry to hear about your XJ.

Last Wednesday, lil'dirty and I were up in Lodge Grass MT. We could see the nasty weather south of us. We had light showers in the evening until 11:00 pm, then the sky's opened up and dumped on us. Thankfully, we got no hail.

PS. Got to spend some time in Sheridan, I believe I've found my retirement location. It is certainly beautiful this time of year.

Spent the weekend on the mountain at our cabin. Sorry to hear about your mom. Is she still here in the hospital? If so does she need anything? That end of town got hit hard. I haven't what the total damage amount is yet but I am sure there are some insurance companies having a bad day.

Thanks for asking -- it was actually her boyfriend in the hospital, but I think he's doing better (they were at the VA). They live in Buffalo, but medical care in Sheridan is definitely a step up.

Thanks for asking -- it was actually her boyfriend in the hospital, but I think he's doing better (they were at the VA). They live in Buffalo, but medical care in Sheridan is definitely a step up.

I work at the VA in IT. Let me know when they are here. I can only have limited contact with patients. It's a government ethics rule so we keep the care equal and don't appear to be choosing any favorites. It has some validity but is still a bit over the top. However, it does not stop me from poking my head and letting them you have a friend in the area. Just drop me a PM. :D

Sorry to hear about your XJ.

Last Wednesday, lil'dirty and I were up in Lodge Grass MT. We could see the nasty weather south of us. We had light showers in the evening until 11:00 pm, then the sky's opened up and dumped on us. Thankfully, we got no hail.

PS. Got to spend some time in Sheridan, I believe I've found my retirement location. It is certainly beautiful this time of year.

Actually we got hit Thursday. Sucked! If it had waited 4 minutes I would have been off work and gone from the hospital parking lot. We got an 1 1/2 inches of rain in 23 minutes on Wednesday.

Damn you people need to let me know when you're around......I could at least point you to the local watering hole.,,,,,,LOL. Why Lodge Grass? I was just up the Littlehorn River west of Wyola at our cabin. There is a really nice trail that ends up at the head of Lodge Grass Creek and Canyon near there. Nothing real tough but some awesome country. Let me know when you are around.....I'll take you there.

Damn you people need to let me know when you're around......I could at least point you to the local watering hole.,,,,,,LOL. Why Lodge Grass? I was just up the Littlehorn River west of Wyola at our cabin. There is a really nice trail that ends up at the head of Lodge Grass Creek and Canyon near there. Nothing real tough but some awesome country. Let me know when you are around.....I'll take you there.

We were on a Mission Trip with the youth group from our church. I was really surprised to see the conditions of Lodge Grass, parts of it look like a third world country. The people there were very welcoming and treated us very good.

I would have loved to be on a vacation/road trip with my jeep. I would have definitely looked you up for a cold one. I didn't even get to take my fishing pole. :(

Speaking of fishing, some friends and I will be taking our annual trek to the Miracle Mile in July, I'll keep you posted in case you'd want to meet up.

Re: Re: Dent Removal

so what is your expertise in the repair of automotive sheetmetal as it relates to hail damage?

Well for starters its what I went to school for. Granted I learned a little more then just minor metal repair. Now with pdr you wont notice the dent any more, but if you blocked where the dent was you find high and low metal.

Well for starters its what I went to school for. Granted I learned a little more then just minor metal repair. Now with pdr you wont notice the dent any more, but if you blocked where the dent was you find high and low metal.
all modern sheetmetal repairs are a compromise. the metals are too thin and cant be worked like the old metals.
it literally is ,raise it up, or beat it down and pave it over.
and PDR does raise the dent,and they also tap highs down and relieve the tension and stress in the metal. it is a perfectly acceptable repair method.

Well for starters its what I went to school for. Granted I learned a little more then just minor metal repair.

35652156.jpg

bahahaha dont worry ian, i feel the same way towards auto techs in my field....

on a serious note, my new (to me) pickup got beat to hell this afternoon by golfball sized hail. the whole thing, :(

Hey Seth, do you have any hookups on aftermarket steel cowl hoods?

Back