• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble has me stumped

So did a 100km road test ... Had one episode of DW ... BUT ... This time the initial pght vibe first stage lasted like a full 10-15seconds ...

I was surprised and though it would smooth out but then the holy crap, stage 2 DW started and I had to pull over.
On the way home I was ready for it (same spot, short cement bridge section about a wheel base length between hits) ... A quick application of the brakes brought it back from the brink.

So, a marked improvement with the newer 240lb/in BDS springs ... And the ride is perfect. Just gotta sort this wobble out.

my death wobble was caused by shot tie rod ends prior to that it was caused by the awful track bar i had in it. another thing that can cause death wobble is imbalanced tires also check your ball joints and as other said control arm bushings could be a culprit as well but 9 times outta 10 its going to be the track bar.

Well, just got the 3-link done, new BJ's and the whole works ...

SO .... upon disassembly the passenger side knuckle fell off once the nuts were off. Drivers side was shot as well ... Odd part is both myself and the Guys at Karnage did the standard wobble tests, and the usual raise the axle and check for play and found no unusual movement. Hell I didn't see any. Pretty sure I know where my wobble came from now. Just waiting for the test drive tomorrow after a Trac bar bracket issue is resolved (tire and bracket want to share the same location.

So now I have 4 large (2 5/8") RE SuperFlex joints and two stock LCA bushings and a 3/4" heim tracbar setup, no more little stuff. Also, Brand New Moog Joints (lifetime warranty ... but if I have to use it within a year I'm replacing with spicers). HDOR cenetr stiffy's and a bare housing HPD30 re-enforced to the C's ...

If I get DW now ... I'm finding a cliff, and having a catastrophy.

SO .... upon disassembly the passenger side knuckle fell off once the nuts were off. Drivers side was shot as well ... Odd part is both myself and the Guys at Karnage did the standard wobble tests, and the usual raise the axle and check for play and found no unusual movement. Hell I didn't see any. Pretty sure I know where my wobble came from now. Just waiting for the test drive tomorrow after a Trac bar bracket issue is resolved (tire and bracket want to share the same location.

So now I have 4 large (2 5/8") RE SuperFlex joints and two stock LCA bushings and a 3/4" heim tracbar setup, no more little stuff. Also, Brand New Moog Joints (lifetime warranty ... but if I have to use it within a year I'm replacing with spicers). HDOR cenetr stiffy's and a bare housing HPD30 re-enforced to the C's ...

I know exactly what's causing my DW but I kind of have to deal with it, I installed rock rings and made my tires impossible to balance so i have no wheel weights on my rims...Now I have new steering and no stabilizer. Hope what you did fixed yours.

Nicely done.

In case anyone missed the lesson: Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. Parts are all too frequently bad right out of the box. We run into it in auto repair a fair ammount. It can be infuriating - but just cause it's new, doesn't mean it isn't the problem.

Back