• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DC/MD/NoVa M&G or Trail Ride?

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
Anyone out there in the DC metro area interested in getting together for a meet and greet or perhaps a trail ride?

I am going to Crozet this weekend (Jan 6 & 7) but would be interested in having an M&G next weekend or perhaps a trail ride at the end of January or early Febuary. Since all legal wheeling is down towards Harrisonburg folks from further south in Va might be interested. Heck we might even get some snow an make GWNF interesting.

(yes I know Md is technically NE)

John

I'd love to do it!!!!

I think it would be cool for a "mid atlantic" run to crozet one weekend!!!!!!

Maybe closer to spring???

Definately down for a run thru harrisonberg soon though!!!

nosigma said:
Anyone out there in the DC metro area interested in getting together for a meet and greet or perhaps a trail ride?

I am going to Crozet this weekend (Jan 6 & 7) but would be interested in having an M&G next weekend or perhaps a trail ride at the end of January or early Febuary. Since all legal wheeling is down towards Harrisonburg folks from further south in Va might be interested. Heck we might even get some snow an make GWNF interesting.

(yes I know Md is technically NE)

John

John, I'll see you Sunday if you're still there. I'll be guiding in my XJ. Look for the silver '89 2dr. with no rear hatch or side glass and a Jimmy Neutron doll tied to the grill. Pretty easy to pick out of a crowd.

A M&G sounds like fun, but I'll have to leave the XJ at home now that it's trail only (you'll see Sunday). This will be the last trip before the sawzall takes large pieces of roof and the welder installs large pieces of tubing, but it would be fun to catch up with some of the NAC/SEC crowd.

non-stick,

I plan on being there on both days so barring major caranage on Saturday I will see you on Sunday.

John

diluted1 said:
Hey guys,
Let me know when you plan on going out towards the end of Jan, Id like to hook up and go, keep me in mind!
jason

Crozet is private land that the lease holders open once a month for a "Open wheeling weekend". More information and announcements are on their web site http://forums.xjsrule.com/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=a3ded62c1c52d143abcb65a5fb32cb24

The weekends are open to anyone interested in having a really good time in the rocks. The hosts are excellent and the trails are challenging as well as close together.

Check them out.

Rich

I'd love to. The jeep is almost running. Its getting closer every day.

i've never done a trail before, really want to though, i know some places have specification before you wheel ie: jack, full size spare . . . do you have to have any of this to wheel on this trail

Visit the link in my previous posting. I would not recommend this as a place to start wheeling, but to each his own.

HTH

its definately a beginners area, Rich! Hell, you've only broken the past two time you've gone! Seriously though, I wouldn't really advise going unless you only want to take bypasses and get damaged or you've got at least 31's and tons of armor.

Experience, a couple hundred pounds of armor (thousands not required), locked at both ends and a callous disregard for body damage make Crozet blues doable on 31's. For what its worth I took my first strap ever last weekend which was a huge deflation of my ego. I have strapped guys on 33's and a couple on 35's, but to get strapped, oh the shame of it. I misjudged my line and didnt prepare the hole I fell into at the top of drivetrain debauchery so I could climb out. At least my wife and daughter werent there to watch....

Getting back on topic,

53Guy (built rig)
Non-Stick (built rig, licensed?)
danny_v_l (stock)
diluted1 (unknown)
Highlander(unknown)
Nosigma (moderate build)

This is more than enough folks to make a run enoyable. Biggest issue would be finding something thats not boring for 53Guy & Non-Stick that wouldnt destroy the other rigs at the same time.

I am thinking that a run at GWNF when it gets snowy & slick might fit the bill and be interesting. Doesnt require armor and lift but puts good driving skills (especially off camber on lockers) to a real test. A little mud, some moderate depth water crossings (dry river/salt shed) and off camber roads with snow leading up to flag pole might work.

Other ideas? Comments?

John

nosigma said:
Experience, a couple hundred pounds of armor (thousands not required), locked at both ends and a callous disregard for body damage make Crozet blues doable on 31's. For what its worth I took my first strap ever last weekend which was a huge deflation of my ego. I have strapped guys on 33's and a couple on 35's, but to get strapped, oh the shame of it. I misjudged my line and didnt prepare the hole I fell into at the top of drivetrain debauchery so I could climb out. At least my wife and daughter werent there to watch....

Getting back on topic,

53Guy (built rig)
Non-Stick (built rig, licensed?)
danny_v_l (stock)
diluted1 (unknown)
Highlander(unknown)
Nosigma (moderate build)

This is more than enough folks to make a run enoyable. Biggest issue would be finding something thats not boring for 53Guy & Non-Stick that wouldnt destroy the other rigs at the same time.

I am thinking that a run at GWNF when it gets snowy & slick might fit the bill and be interesting. Doesnt require armor and lift but puts good driving skills (especially off camber on lockers) to a real test. A little mud, some moderate depth water crossings (dry river/salt shed) and off camber roads with snow leading up to flag pole might work.

Other ideas? Comments?

John

not stock, 2 inch 4wd hardware lift(coils and add-a-leafs), teraflex discos, 31 inch procomp all terrains, edge products kit(tb, module, intake), and a tb spacer

danny_v_l,

Glad to hear your up on good 31's with some lift and body armor. Put rock rails high on your list for additions. They are indespensible for maneuvering in rocks and essential to keep from flattening your rockers and permanently shutting your doors.

Interested in some winter wheeling and water crossings?

John

Nosigma, I'm up for anything, even "boring" stuff. It's just hard to align offroad time with work. So, again, sign me up for anything. It could be as long as 3-4 weeks before I can hit the trail (waiting on rear leafs and air compressor). Aside, glad to hear you found something challenging on the east coast!

nosigma said:
danny_v_l,

Glad to hear your up on good 31's with some lift and body armor. Put rock rails high on your list for additions. They are indespensible for maneuvering in rocks and essential to keep from flattening your rockers and permanently shutting your doors.

Interested in some winter wheeling and water crossings?

John

Well as of now i owe my 700 bucks for last months car payment(200) and also 500 for the edge trail jammer. but i think i am going to get an exhuast so my car can breath unrestricted. But i was hopeing that my dad could teach my to weld so maybe me and him could make some rock rails, i know this is alittle off topic but do you think a 1`n 1/2 inch square tube would work for them. I learned the hard way that not having rock rails and trying to jack up my wagoneer with a hi-lift was a bad idea, bent the rocker a tad but then i realeased what was happening so i stoped.

But any way i am down for anything, as long as you think my xj can handle it.

How would Saturday the 20th or Sunday the 21st work for a trip to GWNF outside of Harrisburg Va? Minimum fuss or muss. Meet in Harrisonburg a 0900 and wheel until the late afternoon. Three or four would make for a good trip. Stockers can make these trails, with a strap if they decide to hit the wrong mu hole and there are lots of bypasses on the deeper (30"?) water crossings suitable for stock height XJ's.

This would leave a couple of weeks to prep vehicles for Crozet events in February.

John

nosigma said:
How would Saturday the 20th or Sunday the 21st work for a trip to GWNF outside of Harrisburg Va? Minimum fuss or muss. Meet in Harrisonburg a 0900 and wheel until the late afternoon. Three or four would make for a good trip. Stockers can make these trails, with a strap if they decide to hit the wrong mu hole and there are lots of bypasses on the deeper (30"?) water crossings suitable for stock height XJ's.

This would leave a couple of weeks to prep vehicles for Crozet events in February.

John

i am actually going on a snowboarding trip up to canada on the 20th, but don't let that hold you back from going haha.

meh, 20th I have a date with a chop saw, angle grinder and a welder...

Early feb would be good for me.

Back