• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 front swap

Ramairuss

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a dana 44 front from a ’76 ford F-150. I plan to narrow it to rubicon length and use rubi/D30 outers (as well as shafts).

Where can I find inner Cs that will fit over 2.75 inch tubes and accept D30 outers?

Most importantly; is this an uncommon thing to do with a D44 swap? Lot’s of Wagoneer hybrid info out there but I can’t find anyone doing what I’m planning. Rightfully so?

’89 XJ W/RE 4.5 lift.

Problem is, I just built custom beadlocks and want to keep the 5 on 4.5 pattern.

This axle is 2.75" vice 3" from the 3/4 ton. Ironic, I found 3" Cs that will fit but no 2.75!

I am sure you could adapt Cs with DOM with 2.75 ID and 3.0 OD. I would sell the beadlocks but that's easy for me to say because I didn't put time into them.

Please please please don't do that.

You don't hear about it, because its just a dumb idea (no offense to you). I just don't understand why someone would want to go through all that effort, time and money to upgrade their front axle, only to cut off half of the things they are upgrading to.

You're eliminating the serviceable wheel bearing aspect, the bigger brakes, the lock outs, and the opportunity for high steer by putting the the D30 parts back on. You would then be keeping the smaller D30 brakes, the unit bearings, the knuckles and weaker inner C's. You're time and money would be much better spent by just buying a TJ rubicon LP axle and trussing it if you want to keep your beadlocks.

I strongly suggest selling the beadlocks, and then getting new ones or building another set.

I run a HP44 I narrowed, and I wouldn't think about using any of the D30 parts on it, that was why I got it in the first place, to get rid of the Dana 30.

The main reason I found people would advocate this swap is to not have to use the lame D44 19 spline stub shafts. With the availability of RCV 30-spline shafts, I wouldn't even think about swapping D30 knuckles on anymore.

Please please please don't do that.

You don't hear about it, because its just a dumb idea (no offense to you). I just don't understand why someone would want to go through all that effort, time and money to upgrade their front axle, only to cut off half of the things they are upgrading to.

You're eliminating the serviceable wheel bearing aspect, the bigger brakes, the lock outs, and the opportunity for high steer by putting the the D30 parts back on. You would then be keeping the smaller D30 brakes, the unit bearings, the knuckles and weaker inner C's. You're time and money would be much better spent by just buying a TJ rubicon LP axle and trussing it if you want to keep your beadlocks.

I strongly suggest selling the beadlocks, and then getting new ones or building another set.

I run a HP44 I narrowed, and I wouldn't think about using any of the D30 parts on it, that was why I got it in the first place, to get rid of the Dana 30.

x2!

So you're looking for a set of custom inner C's, so you don't have to change your beadlocks? Seems like almost the same cost to me, and a LOT more time for a significantly worse end result.

My question is: How many times have you broken the inner shafts, R&P, housing, or tubes on your d30? I know before my swap I destroyed lots of parts on the d30, but never those. Cause that's all you would be upgrading.

Last edited:
I don't have any comment for all the Dana 30 talk here, but DO continue to plan on narrowing it to Rubicon width.

Waggy width is older school than Rubicon width and in comparison, you get more length on the short side tube with Rubicon width. Fitting bracketry with Waggy width is trickier than Rubicon width. Not saying it can't be done, but if I ever narrow a 44 again it'll be to Rubicon width.

Scott

I am sure you could adapt Cs with DOM with 2.75 ID and 3.0 OD. I would sell the beadlocks but that's easy for me to say because I didn't put time into them.

Thats an idea. weld a short piece of pipe on the tubes and slip the 3" inners over it. hmmmmm. On the other hand, does Dynatrac sell weld-on axle parts? i'm grasping here...

Those beadlocks took me weeks to design and build! I had a sheet of 1/4 inch plate and a frend with a water-jet. took the design and plate to my friend and he cut them out. I had to weld in the inner rings and tap 120 holes! Kinda attached to them:spin1: But my options are still always open.

I wouldn't put weaker parts on a stronger axle.

Isn't a Rubi 44 5 0n 5 bolt patterrn not 5 on 4.5???
I run Waggy 44s front and rear but they a 6 lug.

Good luck,
Stukboy

Back