• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 Rear Limits?

buckeye_1

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what the limits of my D35 rear are in relation to tire size and gears. Used about 75/25 DD/offroad. When offroad, just general trails and mud, no rock crawling. I don't plan to lock the rear either. Need some good info before I get my lift and tires. I would like to go with 33x12.50's, but if the D35 won't handle them, I guess I will settle for 32x11.50's.

I wheeled 33x12.50s on a D35 for about a year and never broke anything. one of the big keys is having an open diff, but having a locker makes an unbelievable difference off road. I also carried spare shafts, and mine was the earlier non c-clip version.

BrettM said:
I wheeled 33x12.50s on a D35 for about a year and never broke anything. one of the big keys is having an open diff, but having a locker makes an unbelievable difference off road. I also carried spare shafts, and mine was the earlier non c-clip version.

I agree with Brett, I had 33x12.50x15 Pro Comp muds on my 91' Wrangler with a dana 35 and it help up o.k., but I didn't wheel it like I do my xj now on the Rubicon on the harder trails. Carry some spare shafts and don't stick alot into this axle. An auto tranny will be easier on it as will a light foot. Maybe you can get a lock-rite cheap used and put that in and get some spare shafts, but you would be happier with a 29 spline 8.25, dana 44, or ford 8.8 for 33-36" tires and a locker.
Troy

Back