• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 are junk why waste money on upgrading 30's axles just replace the 30 altogether 33's and a detriot= opps its broke agian:exclamati
sappersly said:
I run a D30 with 33's and a detroit locker. Depending on the year of D30 you have, if it's older upgrade to the newer shafts because of the u-joints.

ttocsnekia said:
D30 = suck, it will be better to step up the the 297 u joint shafts, but unit bearings start going with the bigger tires. And if you actually wheel, you will break the d30, ecspecially with a locker. Save up and go with a d44
Scott

Let's go wheeling!!! I'll bring my HP XJ D30 locked. Sure, it has 760x with the caps welded in, but I Have NEVER broken a shaft or a u-joint or a yoke. And I beat the ever living piss out of my Jeep. If you think you beat your junk, come see mine.

For the thread. For REAL wheeling where you really want to beat your stuff. 33's D30 will do FINE. 33-36 it is D44 time. 36+ D60 time. And past that on an XJ, you will know what you are talking about and won't need our advice.

Aside from that, all you Dana 30 naysayers can go eat a martha focking weiner. Those that are Huge, sure you break stuff. But with some welded joints, and the ability of knowing how to drive, you will be fine. The Dana 30 is a GREAT axle.

Any Naysayers can wheel with me any time. I'll prove my talk, not just talk.

I'd like to think I'm the only guy out there running 35's on a dana 30 and beating the snot out of it without breaking, but I'm not. I'll happily go foot to the floor bouncing on the rocks with no concern for my dana 30 at all - I'm more worried about my xj44 in the rear with measly 30 spline CrMo shafts and a detroit - that detroit will fail long before my dana 30 will. I'd comfortably run 36's or 37's on my dana 30 anywhere but JV.

If you run stock shafts without welded caps for full circle clips and sloppy balljoints, yeah shits gonna break. Get some aftermarket shafts with hardened ears (stock shafts the ears are not hardened like the rest of the shaft) or at least grind your stock shafts for full circle clips so they don't spit u-joint caps when they start to stretch, and things will hold up fine. Run 760 joints and not 297's (much stronger). Maybe grab an aftermarket harder diff cover, to help stop the diff from deforming and pushing the ring gear away from the pinion. There's not much to making it hold up.

ive got a friend w/ a YJ that ran 37s and and air locker on his 30. chromo shafts. held up fine. he upgraded to a 44 front so he could go bigger steering and full width. other than that his 30 was fine

little red cheroke said:
ive got a friend w/ a YJ that ran 37s and and air locker on his 30. chromo shafts. held up fine. he upgraded to a 44 front so he could go bigger steering and full width. other than that his 30 was fine

He could've found a full width 30 from a Scout if he loved the damn things so much.

old blue said:
well if u got the money get a 44.. but if not ur 30 will be just fine iv got 35s and an air locker and it holds up just fine!!!

If you get some 760's and full circle clips, or weld them in. With a mildly trussed D30. If you go to a D44 the only thing you are gaining in strength is the ring gear size. The shafts and u-joints are the same.

dbswede said:
how readily are they available?
thanks

Honestly, a 33" tire is going to be fine for a dana 30 if you're not crazy with it. I've been on 8 wheeling trips this year alone (some rough, some moderate), and mine's just fine.

However, I noticed you're in colorado springs... If you're interested, I have a dana 44 front housing from a '77 f100. It has all the brackets taken off, and has been sandblasted. Needs work (all it is, is the housing) but if you're interested... Lemme know.

Scott

i cant belive the people on this page that thing 30's are fine! go play with your barbie dolls. if you think wheelin is putting it in 4wheel on the road becase its snowing then your 30 is fine! if you really whel your truck then you know the 30 is junk! im done with this form i cant belive everyone "ive wheeled my 30 with it locked and ive never broke at all" I dont know how to play nice, so ill just shut my mouth now.

Last edited by a moderator:
mud4x4lover said:
i cant belive the dumb people on this page that thing 30's are fine! go play with your barbie dolls. if you think wheelin is putting it in 4wheel on the road becase its snowing then your 30 is fine! if you really whel your truck then you know the 30 is junk! im done with this form i cant belive everyone "ive wheeled my 30 with it locked and ive never broke at all"

Struck a nerve have we?

Just for the record, when I was driving my barbie Jeep over the little pebbles on the road, and my Weak Dana 30 with it's toothpick shafts encountered a bit of a larger rock, the detroit broke, not the shafts or the u-joints.

PS. let's go wheeling.

KarlVP said:
If you get some 760's and full circle clips, or weld them in. With a mildly trussed D30. If you go to a D44 the only thing you are gaining in strength is the ring gear size. The shafts and u-joints are the same.

Ummm, and better brakes, and better ball joints. That said, I wonder if there are some tweaked housings out there. Might explain how some do fine on a HP30, and others break it easily.

Just wondering out loud...

mud4x4lover said:
i cant belive the dumb people on this page that thing 30's are fine! go play with your barbie dolls. if you think wheelin is putting it in 4wheel on the road becase its snowing then your 30 is fine! if you really whel your truck then you know the 30 is junk! im done with this form i cant belive everyone "ive wheeled my 30 with it locked and ive never broke at all"

What's wheeling to you? Playing in the mud? Hrm, sounds like something I use to do when I was 5.

Do apologize we don't live up to "your" standards though. There are plenty of ways to "wheel." Everyone has their own taste with what they enjoy. So don't sit there and tell us we don't know what we're doing.

If you honestly think a dana 30 isn't going to hold up to 33's, then please, go to somewhere else and have fun.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.:wave1:

well lets see wheeling to me is going to rubicon trail, fordyce trail, the hammers, moab holister hills cow mountain ohv............
Bx-djKRLtZiRLmefqyHdGVHEQBG6ADt0280.jpg

xj² said:
If you honestly think a dana 30 isn't going to hold up to 33's, then please, go to somewhere else and have fun.

It hasn't......so I guess I have to take my broken 30 elsewhere?

Being a pecker to respond to someone who is being a pecker doesn't make you any less of a pecker than they are, it just makes you a pecker.

Sure I have run 35's on a 30 and had it not break when I had my cj5, but I only got to wheel it 3-4 times in soft mud. I also saw a guy with the same setup throw a spider THROUGH the cast housing in the same terrain. I am not saying it will break as soon as it rolls out of the driveway, I am just saying that it will break. Oh and try not to be such peckers to each other.:kissyou:

goodburbon said:
It hasn't......so I guess I have to take my broken 30 elsewhere?

Nah, he said he was done with the forum. Was helping with the process.

How hard do you wheel your 30? Just curious. Haven't had any issues with mine, and i've had it through more than just snow and dirt. However, I do baby it pretty good. I try not to be too rough with it.

Scott

hard on the throttle, hard on the brakes forces the TT to lock and pull me up a stairstep with one front wheel lifted and the rear tires in loose dirt, but sometimes it breaks an axle or gears. :D

Oh I thought he said he was done with this form, and by form I thought he meant page........sometimes I am the one who needs the translator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back